Blue's BC 14

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Tonight I glanced in the tank while the moonlights were on. There was a ton of "stuff" floating around in the water. AT first I thought my filter floss was not doing it's job, then I realized they were tiny shrimp! My peppermint shrimp must have dropped her babies. It's pretty cool seeing them all zooming around. From what I understand it's very difficult to raise them but they are neat for now.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Just a bit of an update.

The light should be finished tomorrow and once I figure out how to install it I will have new pictures!

There is a bit of good news and bad news.

Bad news is my peppermint shrimp died :( Not sure why, shortly after she released babies she molted then 2 day was later she was gone.

One good thing that came of this is I got to see my CUC in action. I ordered a small CUC from reef cleaners and got a ton more than I ordered. Awesome place.

I ordered:
5 Dwarf Ceriths
5 Empty Hermit Shells
3 Florida Cerith
3 Nassarius Vibex
3 Zig Zag Periwinkles
3 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)
1 Emerald crab

I got a ton more of all the snails I ordered and extra hermit shells. One of my florida ceriths ended up being a hermit crab! My tank is crawling with life now. The only thing I don't like are the nerites, they are a lot bigger than I expected. I have 1 small one and 4 large ones. I might trade the large ones into the LFS. I love the Nassarius snails! I see why they are called zombie snails. I started feeding the tank with a tiny pinch of fish food every other day. I have never seen snails move so fast!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not sure what a ZZ Periwinkle is but sounds like a good order. Never trust a crab, ever :)!

My nassarius snails use to rise up from below the sand as soon as food hit the water but then I got a melanarus wrasse and they learned to stop doing that :). This wrasse is an absolute pig! On top of trying to eat every piece of food it has developed a taste for these snails. Funny how the snails only come out now after the lights go out :). Need to add some more, down to about 4.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Greech, honestly I think 4 of plenty for a 40G. Nassarius snails can do damage to a sandbed by eating too much of the infauna. Nas snails are carnivores. With them, a little goes a long way. Cerith snails on the other hand, you need a couple dozen to keep diatoms in check in some tanks.

The Nassarius Snail is a little snail with a big appetite. This hungry critter glides through your aquarium foraging for food. The Nassarius Snail is an efficient scavenger and detritus eater and is the perfect member of your reef aquarium cleanup crew. You will be pleased at how quickly a small group of Nassarius Snails will clear detritus, uneaten food, decaying organics, and fish waste.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Greech, honestly I think 4 of plenty for a 40G. Nassarius snails can do damage to a sandbed by eating too much of the infauna. Nas snails are carnivores. With them, a little goes a long way. Cerith snails on the other hand, you need a couple dozen to keep diatoms in check in some tanks.
I here you but I'm going off the look of my sandbed. There is a noticeable difference between before the nass started to go missing. I realize this isn't necessarily due to the loss of snails but it would make the most sense at this point since nothing else has changed.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
The LEDs are in!

I think this is one of the most difficult DIY projects I have ever done. I'm not a huge DIYer so that's not saying too much. Just took a lot of time, patience and concentration to make sure I got it all right. But it's all in now!

I didn't take pictures of the process because
1) I didn't want to get distracted and miss something
and
2) I forgot

Pictures do not do this justice at all. The shimmer is just amazing!

Full Tank Shot
JulyTankShot.jpg
Happy Xenia
XeniaJuly.jpg

More to come as the corals get more use to the lighting.

JulyTankShot.jpg XeniaJuly.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store