Bolivian Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
These are my two Bolivian rams. I was wondering if anyone could tell if they're male or female? I bought them both around the same time, one has obviously grown more than the other. The big one follows the little one around quite often and they seem to get along just fine. I haven't seen any indication of spawning going on but I'm not really sure what to look for. They mostly just swim about the aquarium together and ignore the other fish, even swimming through my pictus's cave.

IMG_2716.JPG IMG_2727.JPG IMG_2718.JPG IMG_2721.JPG IMG_2726.JPG

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
They look to be a pair but I can't quite tell for sure until breeding time. I also have a gigantic male Bolivian Ram and two or three other females. Not sure if one of them is a female or a male though.

If they act like what you describe, then I think you have a good chance that you picked a pair.

vaheelsfan

AC Members
May 23, 2003
Stuarts Draft, VA
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to redo my aquarium this weekend, I plan on adding more rock and caves and such that may make it a little more cichlid friendly. Right now the few rocks I have make up two caves my pictus live in so I'm pretty sure any spawning that happened there would be quickly wiped out by them. I also am hoping to get my CO2 set up so I can get rid of my crappy plastic plants maybe that'll help some too :thm:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store