Bottom feeder for 20 long

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dazydaizee

AC Members
Oct 11, 2010
I was interested in adding cories, just not sure if it'd be suitable given the size of the tank and the fact that they're kept in groups (I was thinking about keeping 6). I'm also a little unclear on the pygmy part of it... I've got 6 in a 46 gallon that are "peppered cories" which I believe is Corydoras paleatus. They're supposed to get 3" (or so I've read). I've heard of "dwarf" cories or "pygmy" cories that stay smaller than that.. so are these guys not suitable for this tank?

I really would like whatever I choose to be comfortable in there, I don't want to be cramming fish in, but I am also interested in something new... I've been looking at some gobies and loaches but not sure if there are any bottom dwellers that fit the parameters and can comfortable live in a 20 gallon. I'm more than happy to rearrange the tank to suit the needs of another species, but the pH, temp, and soft-med hardness are pretty much set. I'd like to have a little fun with this, so I'd love to hear some less conventional suggestions as well, especially since (while I do love the little guys) cories are a possibility in all my tanks. So if there's something that likes to eat shrimp, snails, and tiny fish, this is really the only tank I can put it in. Also, I'm good with the dwarf crays I have and despite the plants, I'm not very interested in adding a larger cray as it is. I like the little guys, but I would like to try something new as well...

Thanks, I appreciate the responses!!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
aside from the conundrum on what to put in the tank, i'd be looking at somewhere else to put the tank. microwave stands are not designed to hold the weight of even a 10 gallon. remember, each gallon is approximately 10 pounds! so your 20 gallon is close to 200 pounds in just water weight. add the tank, gravel, etc and you're pushing over 200 pounds on top of a stand that is designed to hold about 50 pounds.

Dazydaizee

AC Members
Oct 11, 2010
aside from the conundrum on what to put in the tank, i'd be looking at somewhere else to put the tank. microwave stands are not designed to hold the weight of even a 10 gallon. remember, each gallon is approximately 10 pounds! so your 20 gallon is close to 200 pounds in just water weight. add the tank, gravel, etc and you're pushing over 200 pounds on top of a stand that is designed to hold about 50 pounds.
Aww, come on, now... I spent so long looking for a double tank stand and ended up with a choice between two. This one, or some cheap looking metal one. This is an All-Glass brand double aquarium stand http://www.petsolutions.com/storefront/product-view.ep?pID=30inDoubleAquariumStand

Trust me, I was tempted to buy something else in my frustration to find a double tank stand, but I worried about the weight and knew your average TV stand wouldn't support it. I actually wanted a black one to match the stand my bowfront is on, but no luck... I thought it looked nice all set up, anyway.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There are some loaches that would work I think as far as size goes but probably wouldn't help with fry control. How big are your killies? I haven't kept those but the mouths can open pretty big! I'd think full grown the adult female endlers would be snacks but I don't know.

Yunnalinus loaches are quite small, Msjinx had some as does Frank's. I've kept sidthimunkis in a 20g long. There are a few other small loaches that might work too, finding them may be hard though. Have you looked though this http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index for ideas?

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
I had a 20 high on a solid wood microwave stand for years, held up just fine...granted I could also stand on it (me being 250) just fine.

It would depend mostly on the quality of the stand and its stability.

Mike

Dazydaizee

AC Members
Oct 11, 2010
There are some loaches that would work I think as far as size goes but probably wouldn't help with fry control. How big are your killies? I haven't kept those but the mouths can open pretty big! I'd think full grown the adult female endlers would be snacks but I don't know.
I'm not too worried about adding another fish for fry control, I do think the Killifish have it covered, but I'd like to add something else interesting and potentially to clean up food that gets into harder to reach places.
The larger Killifish is a little under 2 inches and the other is just a bit smaller. I'll definitely keep a close eye on size changes and if I should have to move fish around it won't be too big of a deal. I guess if they double in size that may have to happen.. but maybe by then they'll be done producing fry and can move into a nice, new, ladies only tank without the need for fry control.

I've kept sidthimunkis in a 20g long. There are a few other small loaches that might work too, finding them may be hard though. Have you looked though this http://www.loaches.com/species-index/species-index for ideas?
I have checked out that site but usually have no idea where to start, just sort of aimless searching... I do like the dwarf chain loaches, so I'll add them to the list to consider. I'm wondering if I may need to look for larger or tougher fish for when the killies do reach full size, though...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store