bottom feeders/algae eaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bottom feeders/algae eaters?

• yes

Votes: 58 93.5%
  • no

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
The only tanks I don't have bottom-feeders/algae eaters in are my Geophagus iporangensis fry tank, and a tank I'm growing Satanoperca leucosticta (both species of eartheater cichlids) on in. I much prefer catfish and loaches to tetras, livebearers, barbs etc. as they do a lot more.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Snails - every tank
Shrimp - 2/4
Cories, Otos - 1/4

(4th tank is plant-only grow out expt for HM trimmings, I'm assuming there are snails in it, though I've yet to see any - other 3 are in my sig.)

RobertW

Arctic Ice Fish
Jan 25, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
not yet but im thinking of picking up a SAE or two

Falina

AC Members
Feb 27, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland.
I admit, I am still a newbie on this subject but is it really that important to have an algae eater in your tank? I always assumed that having at least one pleco in your tank would be enough considerng that if I speak for myself... I am always on top of my aquarium maintenance. The only algae I clean in my tank is the one that grows on the top of my glass where the light hits. That is pretty much it. Other than that... I haven't seen my algae gone out of control.
No you don't need them. Plecs, other than BN plecs are not good algae eaters anyway. Fish should never be relied on to clean up anyway, good tank maintanence, like you say, should do that without the need for a clean-up crew.

That being said however, I can't imagine a tank without some cories in it. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store