Bought a house...came with a tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No problem putting the skimmer on a timer.

Can't speak to the Chemi-clean. Just did a quick google search and from the few things I read, it supposedly upsets nems for a while.

branflake12

yeah, thats right-purple ROPE
Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
I dropped into the LFS and we came to the conclusion that it might have moved up too close to my Koralia and shredded itself.
I have used the chemclean before, and what i read said no problems, so i did it again trying to clear up the cyano. anywho, he ate last night with what tentacles he had, but i watched both emerald crab and peppermint shrimp try to take chunks out of him. Never noticed this behavior before and we watch it pretty close. So far he doesnt look stressed, just hiding down low in crab territory with his arms out. Turned the powerhead back on to try and lure him up to the current. Guess ill just watch for him to start displaying signs of dying and try and remove it before it wrecks the tank. Sigh.

didz04

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2011
You've made some progressing improvements to the tank and in time all that algae will burn out itself. Those aiptasia were huge from the start you did a good job in taking them all out. Have you got any updates possibly pictures of the new shoaling chromis :D

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Thanks didz, and welcome! I will try and get some schooling shots of the new guys, but they are fast little buggers.

I got an LED driver for the moon lights in my hood (never had them on till yesterday) and saw that my coral banded shrimp does in fact leave his cave, just at night. Any tricks to get this guy to show off a bit?

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Update:

I've lost 2 of the chromis. One never found, 1 was looking battered last night so i stuck him in the floating box, dead when i got home from work tonight. I read these things can be finicky, but any ideas? My parameters are all "ideal" save for high phosphates. My mushrooms are darker and shriveled than i have seen them as well. Thoughts on this?

One the plus side, the anemone has perched, is eating, and growing pink tips back. 1 step forward...

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sorry to hear about the fish. Battered sounds like fighting. Could have been remaining chromis (if you have any).

Shrooms do that in my tank once in a while and then they pop back. They don't like a ton of flow (not sure if that is the case) and don't seem to like it when the temp drops. Another thing to look at is the age of the bulbs. Can't recall if you have replaced any.

Are you running any GFO for the phosphates?

Glad to hear the nem is improving!

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
I didnt think the chromis would inter-fight given that they schooled up nice. LFS sure didnt say they would either. Oh well. the remaining three seem to be ok for now.
Bulbs are PC's, replaced one of the 10K's (over the most of the shrooms) in december. Rest are ? old. On my "wish list" of what to replace. Probably the two actinics need it first for the shrooms, eh?

Running phosguard in my HOB...I noticed it says you can dry and reuse it "until exhausted"...when is that?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Reason I asked for the phosphate remover is sometimes your corals can get a little tweaked from it at first especially if you use a big dose. I would just keep an eye on them. I ran my Rowaphos 24/7 for a while and my corals started acting up after a while. I now run it for just a few days a month. If you have a high concentration then I would keep running it until you get it down to 0.

Lot of people have a school dwindle down from 5 or 7. 3 seems like the magic # but you could end up with 1.

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Sure!

Couple pics of the surviving Chromis. They are too bloody fast to photograph well. Might try submerging the camera next time.
The anemone has healed up well but has moved out of view to behind some rocks. As he is only interesting when we see him, I am planning to see if not feeding him will lure him back to the front.

Am looking for a couple new fish to add. Something yellow, fast and visible (my wife hates "hidey fish" and so do i), and soemthing that walks on its fins, bright and also not "hidey".

I saw one aiptasia last night, and will nuke it with the next water change. Problems now are a resurgence of cyano and the green hair algae that seems to be coating everything. running phosguard in a sock and 20% weekly changes, hoping it will subside.

IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1290.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store