Bought hornwort, I think some of it arrived dead but don't know how to tell - help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm so sorry to tell you that the hornwort is gone... It's leaves are falling off and the stem is completely brown

So is it a 20 gal?

GOOD news! I have hornwort plants growing like crazy and I've heard you can trim them and they will be fine since they never grow roots so if you would like I could try to send you some... Keep in mind I have never sent any plant before so this will be my first

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332465610.958787.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332465630.889066.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332465610.958787.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332465630.889066.jpg

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
As mentioned by Star Rider horn wort tends to die of a good bit when moved around a lot. I work at an aquarium store so I experience it all the time. The plants go through a good bit of stress getting to the seller. Some times it takes a few days to get there. So by the time the plants get planted in the seller's tanks they start dying off. But I will agree that a good seller should trim off dead leaves from plants daily and "remake" the bunches of stems if need be.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
I agree hornwort will die off at the start but I have never seen it all brown, from my understanding hornwort can receive to much light and turn brown, but in order to regrow there would need to be some green on the plant and seeing as the stem is brown along with the leaves...

I may be wrong I admit I'm just giving my 2 cents

ezziecat

AC Members
Mar 11, 2012
I'm so sorry to tell you that the hornwort is gone... It's leaves are falling off and the stem is completely brown

So is it a 20 gal?

GOOD news! I have hornwort plants growing like crazy and I've heard you can trim them and they will be fine since they never grow roots so if you would like I could try to send you some... Keep in mind I have never sent any plant before so this will be my first
Your hornworts are absolutely beautiful! Thank you for the offer, it is so kind! But I'm in the UK so postage would be astronomical and I doubt your beautiful offcuts would survive :(

AXio - thanks. I'm going to ask the seller for a refund, and buy some more from a more reputable person I think. I'm so disappointed :(

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I wouldn't worry about it at all. I bought a small handful about 2 months ago and some was brown. Well the other day I had to throw away 2 plastic bags full of it. This plant grows like crazy. Give it time and it will take over your tank.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Hornwort is finicky when moved around. MOST LIKELY when the seller put it into the bag it was fine. It takes no time what so ever for that die off to happen. It probably died off while in shipping to you. Thats how fast it can happen.. And for the record....... There is NOTHING wrong with his method of shipping the plants in a bag with moisture (but not full or partially full of water) in the bag. I sell and ship plants all over the Cont. USA and I use basically the same way. Never had any issues always had happy customers and plants ive also bought lots of plants the same way. No paper towel or newspaper that was wet.. Just a Sealed bag with a bit of moisture in it. The plant has no issues with this.

In your case OP, be patient. Give it a little time. Do you use any ferts? You do need to know your lighting. Temperature can also impact hornwort. Along with water conditions. Still give it some time. I dont think your seller did you wrong.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
What's you WPG?

WPG doesnt mean anything really.. This is old school thinking about light and there is much more then just watts per gallon as not all light is created equal. Even the circumstances 2 of the same lights would be run are not the same. What matters most is PAR data. Its the true measurement of the effective radiation that plants need. So throw WPG out the window.

ezziecat

AC Members
Mar 11, 2012
Thanks constevens. Thankfully the seller is refunding me. I wouldn't have minded if the plant died off a little after hitting my tank, but I don't think it's right for me to buy plants and have half arrive dead, whether it's the sellers fault or not and its just a fluke. I've separated some of the dead looking bits out into a little tank and I've bought some fertilizer to use in there (as I now have some Java moss to grow, and a java fern in the post), just to see if there's any life left in it.

Mhplease

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Hornwort in my experience will grow in almost any condition. I had it in a low tech tank (125 long) that had .5 wpg w/no fertz and about 20 fish and it grew like crazy. You can get hornwort where I'm at for about 2-4$ a plant. So just go to your lfs and get some. Hornwort propagates via clipping and re-planting. It does not form a root structure and the stems will all grow like crazy. Also go spend the 20$ on some proper bulbs for your light and do research before buying plants in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store