Brand new to SW, several questions before setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep, that will work nicely. I've used the same method in my FW tanks and have never noticed a serious temperature variation from spot to spot.

as40

Give it to us raw and wriggling!
Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Come to think of it, I have a friend who even used to BURY his heaters under the gravel. This was in a FW tank, so don't know what this would do under sand, in a SW. Think it would hamper the heat transfer, or heat up the substrate too much, harming the live sand? Or, think it might affect the heater's temp. reading, screwing up when it goes off and on? On first thought, it sounded kind of cool (once again, minimizing how much equipment you see).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There are substrate heaters out there, but they are mostly used in planted FW tanks--and even then, not often. They get mixed reviews in terms of effectiveness. I think it would reduce the water movement over the heater, and may result in hot spots.

as40

Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'll scratch that idea... Will just have them almost on the bottom, a little above the gravel on either side. Thank you OrionGirl! :)

Now, with the powerheads... I just have to decide which one to choose from... Maxijets, Aquaclears, or ViaAquas...
Also, unsure where exactly I should place them, closer to the bottom (directly above the heaters), or submerged just above the top. And do I have to have ones that turn over tank volume six or seven times like I'm reading or will less do (if you combine two smaller powerheads can you add the amount of turnover [3+3=6])? I'm just thinking the more powerful models are gonna take up more tank room and potentially run more noisy.
Lastly, I imagine I will have to locate some sort of slip/sleeve to put over the bottom where the intake valve is, to prevent waste material/poor little fishies or other things from getting sucked into the inner motor compartment. Haven't seen any advertised. :confused:

Fun stuff.

JasonA

Jack of all trades, master of none!
May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
I will say that ViaAqua and MaxiJet's are excellent units. I have both in my tank, and never a single problem. Also remember that both of them are 100% sealed, oil-free and can run dry without damage... unlike Rio pumps..

I've heard sooooooooooooooo many bad things about Rio's it's not even funny...

I just bought another ViaAqua 1700 to help out circulation in the new 80 so now I'm up to 16x times per hr.

as40

Oct 12, 2003
Ventura, CA 93003
Visit site
I found this link for the ViaAqua 1300 Pump:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=VA2715
Doesn't have a picture (I visualize better with a pic than the sizes, though that's nice to have also), but I like the sound of this one because a.) it's cheap b.)it's got 6 times the tank volume turnover and c.) it's got a six foot cord to make plugging it in without extension cords, etc. a lot easier (http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ph_va.asp?CartId= explains a lot better the differences between the models).

But, noise? Bulkiness? Do I need two if the one has that much flow?

Thanks, Jason! After finding your other postings and seeing many other people slam the Rio's I know now not to go that route. Funny, that's the only brand of powerhead pretty much that the LFS carries. :rolleyes: Guess I'll be ordering online.

JasonA

Jack of all trades, master of none!
May 23, 2003
www.montero4x4.com
I don't get it either... I goto 2 "high-end" LFS's and they have Rio's... I tell them about burning up, smoking up, leaking oil, etc.. and I read this on all the online forums and they say...

"Oh...no... we've never heard of that or have seen those problems, only burned out impellers"....

yet, in all their show tanks, not a single Rio to be found and all the ViaAqua,MaxiJets,etc and other pumps are out of stock, but plenty of Rios on hand..

I wonder why;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store