Breeding Acaras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
how big is ur female?

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
my pair is approx 4in. they started to breed around 3 in and have been goin at it ever since.

they will probably dig a few holes at least my pair does. sometimes the pair lays eggs on a not so flat rock like a slanted one, so sometimes you wont be able to see the eggs except from the back of the tank.

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
They make very good parents and I thingk they hatch in a couple of days, if they see one stray from the nest, they eat it and spit it back in the nest. Not sure on the details, been a while since I separated my pair, the male started beating on the female.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
just got more eggs a few days ago and they hatched yesterday. cant tell how many tho too hard to see.

normally it takes about 3 days for the eggs to hatch, on the second day i do a water change about 20%.
free swimming in about 4 days after hatch, then i water change again being carefuk not to suck up any fry. normally i take oput all the fry after 2 weeks or so of free swimming. then in a few days they lay more eggs.

They seme to be very good parents, any time they see a fish astray from the group they suck them into their mouths thern spit them out with the rest of the brood. keeping the fry very close together. after a week or so the fry seem to go anywhere they want and do not keep with the group. some get eaten by other fish.

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
yeah...my babies seem to like to stray

oh, before I go off. the babies hatched and are free swimming and the parents herd the babies around the tank. their numbers are dwindling, but there are still around 40-50. I also have some in a 10 gallon cause my mom moved them. i wont go into that schpeal. the babies are burrying themselves in the gravel tho, so im thinking most wont make it.

The babies seem to stray a bit and the fish seem to like the babies as a special entre. but they dont eat them much. the parents protect them well. nevertheless, the babies dont have that large a group.

I have 9 semi large black skirts, 3 cories, and a few platies. I moved the cherries cause they hovered around the plants where the babies were and they preyed on them like vultures on a carcas.

so, im hoping the next batch will be more successful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store