Breeding Corys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
I move my cory's to a 10 gallon at a month. You can leave them in the breeder net if you want but if you move them to a bigger tank with a fine sand bottom they will grow faster as there will be more food available.

Andy
I have a 10 gallon ready but keep reading on sites that water volume is too large to reach surface of water. Then again never did anything special here other than put eggs in the net and they all hatched. No airstone or blue meth as I read alot about others doing

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
You don't have to fill the tank up all the way if you are using a sponge filter.
That I thought about but how do you heat the tank. Submersible heaters I've looked at arent regualated...meaning you can't set a desired temp and the ones I and many use have to be a certain water level

Andre7

AC Members
Nov 19, 2014
Pretty sure Jager heaters are submersible, and you can set the temp for those with the dial on the top. They're a little pricey, but good quality.

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
Ah...like a light bulb went on...horizontally can work as long as the top isn't submersed...cory fry are all still doing well...3 weeks in.. put a new batch of eggs in another breeders net...gets kinda addictive once you start...first batch took almost a week to hatch... 3 days in for second batch of eggs...

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
There are also tons of heaters that are fully submersible that are able to be regulated. Aqueon glass tubes and Aqueon Pro's are both adjustable.

djr1

AC Members
Sep 26, 2014
Original fry are 5 weeks old now. Still doing well in the breeders net. All 14 have survived and are 1/2 inch long now. Second breeders net has about 13 one week old cory fry( same parentage as original) Second batch seem to be growing faster than original had in first week. It was a successful attempt 2x to see if I could get cory fry to hatch and survive. All the web sites and hours of reading on cory care/fry,etc., was at first a little intimidating and confusing at best as what worked for one didn't work for another. Just a quick note to say it's not as difficult as many sites will have you believe. Now what to do with an extra 2 dozen or so corys.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Keep in mind that there are more than a hundred species of corydoras and not all of them are easy to breed. I have a friend who maintains 80 species and has bred dozens but there are still a bunch that he has never been able to spawn.

Corydoras erhardti is a very easy species to breed (they don't eat eggs or fry IME) but Corydoras robinae is very difficult.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store