Breeding fish with bottom dwellers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

burnttoast

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2015
Yeah I am aware that all fish are opportunistic and will eat eggs and fry. Im just hoping for some suggestions from the huge knowledge base here about what bottom dwelling species the rams will have the best chance of defending eggs from. I just dont want my rams to fail so many times that they turn on each other and damage themselves. Moving them to a separate tank isnt really an option for me. Im keen for more ideas?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Tank devider?

burnttoast

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2015
A divider isnt really an option either for me im afraid, given the aquascape of the tank. Ultimately im not too concerned with survival of all the fry, because it is a community tank. Im just after a species to replace the bristlenose that the bolivians are more likely to be able to defend against. Would cories be better than kuli loaches?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
" that is less likely to eat the rams eggs"

"Ultimately im not too concerned with survival of all the fry"

***chuckles***

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I use to breed Angels in a community tank with Corys. Some even survived into adulthood. I think corys would be better then Kulies.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I have friends that have had rams successfully rear fry with cory cats. However, with your only bottom dweller at the time being that bristle nose, why not just get rid of the bottom dwellers all together? Unless you really want something on the bottom in which case I would say the cories are probably the better bet. Or you could try something like nerite snails, bamboo shrimp or amano shrimp that are less likely to go after eggs.
With what you listed as parameters of your tank and your maintenance it seems weird to me that the cories are having a hard time surviving.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Why do you think the rams will turn on each other if they aren't able to defend against a BN? I've heard the opposite, that the lack of tankmates will result in them going after each other, but never that having tankmate increases partner attacks.

I'm a little confused as to what your problem is. You don't want the eggs/fry to survive, so what does it matter who or when they're eaten?

burnttoast

Registered Member
Oct 30, 2015
Hmmmm you're right, I didnt word that very well did I... What I mean is while Im not too concerned about ALL of the fry surviving, it would be nice to have some survive and grow up in the tank. And currently the bristlenose is eating all of the eggs, everytime. As for the rams turning on each other, I had just read in a couple of places that they had a tendency to do so if they have too many batches of eggs fail. I agree it is bizarre that the cories didnt survive, so maybe it was a coincidence with poor health when I bought them both times (even though they looked good in the pet store). I might a cory again and if it looks happy enough after a week or two, I'll go get a few more to keep it happy. Thoughts anyone? Or a different species to try? I just like having a clean up crew at the bottom to eat leftovers.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Truthfully, I'd try providing better shelter for the rams to use, like a cave that they can get in but the BN can't easily access. That's going to be easier.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I have several species of fish that breed on the regular in my freshy tanks. The problem is, fish LOVE to eat fish eggs. Every fish thinks fish eggs are just fantastic! Caves for your rams that offer seclusion and security will probably be your safest bet. Will it work? Who can tell? It's a safe option, though. Gives the rams a place to put the eggs and chase off fish trying to get at them. My male BN gets into my Bolivan pair's lair all the time, but he's way too fat to get down to the surface where they put the eggs. Cut up a coconut husk and make the vertical slit small enough that your bottom dwellers can't fit. Rams are magnificently slender fish when compared to bn plecos, large corys, etc.

Reactions: Rbishop
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store