Breeding Guppies :Keeping it simple?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FireHead

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
as i search for more informtion on breeding guppies i find that for the novice it can be disenchanting. with all the sientific jargon and technical termonology it can be quite overwhelming. many of the articles ive read were very impressive using terms i had to use a dictionary to define. so as many wax eloquent the newcommer thinks F1, P1 ,recessive, sex linked, dominant trait, inbreed what?????????? where are the articles for those who have never heard of MENDLE or dont understand advanced genetics? I dont claim to have done an exhaustive search but i am exhausted looking for some information that keeps it simple. resources that dont speak over the newguys head. Where do you go to to find information that reads like this for example: if you breed snakeskin males to a gray female most times you will get snakeskin paterns. or breeding H/B males to a Albino Red you get such and such many times. ect. if you know of any good informative sights that dont require you to go back to college and take genetics 101 but explains breeding guppies and color compatability and traits pasted on please pass this information on.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
very simple

pick some guppies you like

put them in water

take pregnant female and put her in net breeder or another tank until she delivers

put her in a QT tank and fatten her back up

rinse repeat

separate your male and female fry into their own tanks so you can choose which breeds with which

find the ones you like most as they grow out

cross the ones that have the best examples of the traits you like the most

rinse repeat

http://guppyinfo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=37

that site has everything you could ever want to know about guppies

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I add guppies to water..it happens.

rhardy

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
You probably won't find what you are looking for because genetics are very complicated. Traits can be recessive or dominant depending on what other traits are present, it would be very difficult if not impossible to predict with any reliability what the results would be from breeding two individual unknown fish. Usually the trait you want is recessive, which means, at best you only have a five to ten percent chance of getting the desired trait.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Guppies were aptly named: Million-Fish ;)

The genetics is very difficult, and unless you spend the $ upfront for clean lines, your efforts can get very frustrating...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store