Breeding my Dwarf Platy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
Hey guys!

I have a single sunburst dwarf platy(male) and i would like to find him a female to breed with.

If and when i do find one. Could i simply put a breeding net inside my 10g? Or so i need something special for platies?

Thanks!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
nope. just put em together and watch em go at it! if you want the babies to survive, you're going to need to put her in a breeder box or something like that when she's about to go into labor so they won't eat the babies.

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
OK cool.

I heard that with guppies you should have 3 males per female (could be the other way around) does the same follow for platies? Or can i just put any M and F in the tank and let them go at it as you say?

Also. Will they still breed even with the other fish roaming the tank?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
it's better that way, because male platies are pretty horny and may harass a single female, so it's best to get 1 male for every 2 females so the females won't get picked on. yes, they will do it in front of other fish.

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
OK. so your saying i should get 2 females.

Givin my tank stats in my sig. Would that put me over my limits?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
nah, you'd be fine until the kids arrive. platies breed REALLY fast. you'll have more babies that you know what to do with in no time. sure you're ready? i'd get another 10G as a growout tank ready.

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
I dunno if im ready!!! *starts crying* lol

I just want fish babies really bad!

What do you think is the cheapest way i could go to get a grow out tank?

Also, i appreciate you walking me throu this and holding my hand :)

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
go to your LFS and buy a 10G tank, air pump, heater, and sponge filter base. shouldn't cost more than $30-$40. you can feed them commercial fry preperations or infusoria, green water, nauplii, ect. (infusoria is a type of microoganism that grows on the side of planted tanks, green water is waterborne algae, and nauplii are baby brine shrimp.) you're welcome. you'll get pregnant soon, don't worry. just keep trying! :D

Last edited:

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
Whats this spnge filter base everyone speaks of. I have no idea :huh:

Also. Do i need substrate, plants, etc.?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
a sponge filter is a simple, cheap filter that sucks the water through a sponge, exposing it to bacterial colonies on said sponge. no, it can be completely bare.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store