Breeding Platys and guppies How many tanks do I need?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Really, I'd say this is a bad idea unless they are/can be used as feeders. Just a forewarning, if you get attached to fish, and/or have a tough time killing/feeding them to larger fish, you should probably try this at a smaller rate. Unless there's a booming guppy/platy buisness around you, which I cannot imagine, but is entirely possible. Anyways, here's what I would do-

Few-tanks sceme:

30-40g platy/fry tank

20-30g guppy/fry tank

Doesn't-matter-much scheme:

10g breeder guppies

15g breeder platies

15g guppy fry (potential sex dividers**)

20g platy fry (potential sex dividers)

Out-of-control-madness scheme:

10g breeder guppies

15g breeder platies

20g female guppy fry, divided strain-wise

25-30g female platy fry, divided strain-wise

20g male guppy fry, devided strain-wise

30g+ male platy fry, devided strain-wise

You could sub all of the 20's and 30's and such in plan #3 for a large (55-75 gallon) tank or a huge rubbermaid of some sort. Good luck.

**As in males on one side, females on the other.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
what are you going to do with the fry? i started with 8 platy and have sold gave away 50-60 the last couple months and i still have a bunch in my 85. it just depends are you going to keep all the fry... think about 100 gal tanks lol if your breeding them for feeders then 20 gal tanks would work. if its breeding just to breed i would leave the fry with the parents so at least they pick some off.

Sweetheart

AC Members
May 31, 2008
MS
I am planning on selling them. And yes I'm going to let the mother pick some off.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Most areas, will give you a thank you, when they take them off your hands.

cheekysbabe

AC Members
Apr 21, 2008
Mid North Coast (Australia)
My sister and I have Guppies and my sister also has a Mollie and other fish.

Don't get a black guppy as it will always have black babies (as i have found out, but they are still beautiful). Go for different colours. A blue, yellow, green, pink, yellow, etc.

I dont know much about tanks. But guppies grow a lot faster when keep with others. My sister and I have tryed this. hers where two months young when i placed some of mine in one of her tanks, hers where about or bigger than mine.

Jade

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store