Briggs Apple Snail Egg Clutch!! YAY

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
For some reason about half of the clutches fall into the water, thus killing the eggs. I float the eggs in a deli container on damp/wet paper towels. After your clutch hatches there will be so many babies, so start making friends with the lfs. Now that I have all the babies that I want, I remove the clutches and freeze them, then dispose of it. Good luck.

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
I put my clutches IN a tupperware, that has half water from the parents tank, Then I take a pc of stryofoam and lay the clutches ON top of the stryofoam pc, and Float in the tupperware dish , I put holes in the top, just a few cuts X ~ Then I place the tupperware *(hatchery) on top of my strip light fixture . I get clutches to hatch FAST this way ! Then You could put your babies IN thier own tank, even if you dont have a xtra tank, you can use a sterlite container I have one thats 6 gallons. I put a sponge filter in , a heater And WALA ~ fresh strong baby briggs !! And YOU make them strong by putting calcium in thier tank . Just buy a bottle of the calcium pills vitamins, yes, like you would take, I split one in half , and put one half on each side of my tank (sterlite container) Then they will eat the calcium, and also this helps them grow strong healthy shells, so they dont crack, or break ... Its best for them :) ~~ You can then sell or give away the ones you dont want . And keep the ones you do . I think its fine to have them in yoru community tank as long as thier not getting picked on, and with your crew of fish ~~ WOW ~~ I am surprized they laid !! They must NOT be being bothered which is GREAT !! My angels & gourami & mollys would never leave my briggs alone !! I had to always take them back out the tank . Anyway , even the adult briggs can get a calcium bath" , You can just put them in the calcium enriched tank with babies for a few days, then put them back in yrou tank to enjoy :) ~ This is what I do . HTH ~~ and Good Luck ~

VickiesZoo

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
NW IN
Real Name
Vickie
What kind of styrofoam do you use? I have several pieces from the shipments I've received. Is that ok to use?

I'm just now getting the clutches to hatch. They started laying 9-6, but the first clutch was a dud. I have about 20 more in my 3 "incubators".... tupperware, papertowels, etc.

Would it be ok to just leave them in my "incubators"? Then take them out and put them in my nursery tank as they start moving around? Or is it better to let them find the water when they are ready?

E-J

AC Members
Jul 25, 2009
Canada
Thats a really good idea. I have 4 egg clutches. One in my 35 gallon, one in my 10 gallon, and 2 in a jar on damp cloth with a little tiny bit of water at the bottom to ensure that the cloth doesnt dry up. I moved all my snails to my 10 gallon with shrimp and glass bloodfin tetras.

I put my clutches IN a tupperware, that has half water from the parents tank, Then I take a pc of stryofoam and lay the clutches ON top of the stryofoam pc, and Float in the tupperware dish , I put holes in the top, just a few cuts X ~ Then I place the tupperware *(hatchery) on top of my strip light fixture . I get clutches to hatch FAST this way ! Then You could put your babies IN thier own tank, even if you dont have a xtra tank, you can use a sterlite container I have one thats 6 gallons. I put a sponge filter in , a heater And WALA ~ fresh strong baby briggs !! And YOU make them strong by putting calcium in thier tank . Just buy a bottle of the calcium pills vitamins, yes, like you would take, I split one in half , and put one half on each side of my tank (sterlite container) Then they will eat the calcium, and also this helps them grow strong healthy shells, so they dont crack, or break ... Its best for them :) ~~ You can then sell or give away the ones you dont want . And keep the ones you do . I think its fine to have them in yoru community tank as long as thier not getting picked on, and with your crew of fish ~~ WOW ~~ I am surprized they laid !! They must NOT be being bothered which is GREAT !! My angels & gourami & mollys would never leave my briggs alone !! I had to always take them back out the tank . Anyway , even the adult briggs can get a calcium bath" , You can just put them in the calcium enriched tank with babies for a few days, then put them back in yrou tank to enjoy :) ~ This is what I do . HTH ~~ and Good Luck ~

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i have a 10g (the setups you buy at walmart) would a clutch be fine in one of those?

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
The clutch would be fine to hatch and the babies would be fine in that tank. Just keep in mind a clutch holds between 50 and 200 baby snails. Once they grow they won't be fine in that tank.....each adult Bridgesii snail requires about 2 1/2 gallon of water because of their bioload.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store