bristle nose pleco or a team of otos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I'm preparing to set up a new 29g, Is a bn pleco as efficient as a team of otos? How big does the BN get? will it limit my plant choices or fish choices? It's my reward for losing weight, I', 4 lbs shy of my second 10% weight loss, I've lost 43 lbs so far. So I want tjis tank to be special. Any suggestions welcome.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Meh...IMO both aren't quite that good but I'm sure others will disagree. I will say that they both took care of my diatoms practically overnight back when I didn't know that the diatoms would have gone away eventually and now my BN is super lazy. My otos are iffy and wont go after anything too hard, fuzzy, or stringy.

Anyways, it shouldn't do much to affect your fish or plant choices. With otos just make sure nothing is too big that may eat them but with only a 29g that shouldn't be an issue. BNs aren't very destructive when it comes to plants but mine really likes to dig and push sand out of the way, sometimes burying plants too deep.

I say go with whichever you like better rather than compare them based on how efficient they are.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Congrats on the weight loss!

I agree with jpappy.

You may want to let the plants get well rooted for the BN, mine accidentally dug up some HM & crypt runners. They eat only some types of algae & need veggies & driftwood.

Also otos will do better in a more established tank with "microgoodies" to eat. Get them if you like them but don't expect them to work miracles.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Congrats!

Since this is a new tank, I would say BN. If were already established, I would go with Otos.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I waited four months to put otos in my last tank. It will have used media from another tank, and plants from my already established tank as well. I do have a nice piece of wood.

theicequeen

AC Members
Jul 21, 2009
new york
I say go with the Otto's. Between them and my snails My tank doenst have much algae in it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store