Bristlenose Plec Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I'm going to guess a male because of the length of the belly area, though a picture of him in a straight position would be better. It appears there might be the start of tiny stubs around the mouth, when you look very closely do you see them? Do you see a spot on the back of the head that appears to be slightly darker than the rest of the head? How old is this one?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
David can you see the big difference in the length of these female's dark belly areas. Now most of these are carrying eggs, some more than others which pushes that area up more. But even without being this full of eggs, the females dark belly area does not extend down as far as the males. It's easier to tell male from female in the light colored plecos using this method. With the browns, it's better to get a look from the top down at the shape of the sides. Males are tapered through the sides much more. On the browns, unless you're looking in person it's hard to tell from a pic exactly where the dark area ends.

female plecs.jpg

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Thanks Debbi,

I see your point Debbi, here I thought I had Female.
I had this BN of a month, he is about 2.5 inches in total length.
I do not see the dark spot on the head.
Will try to get some more pics, not easy.
lol

David

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Don't anyone shoot me if I'm wrong, I'm making my best guesses from pics from what I have been able to observe working with them. A single pic is the hardest. Much easier when you're viewing them in person. But I'm always happy to take a look at the pics and give it a good shot. The things I evaluate are shape of the belly against the glass, shape of mouth and midsection of the body from the top down. I spent hours watching mine as they grew to notice differences. My male L144's were extremely slow to show any bristles, and by the time they did, I already knew what they were.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Debbi, we will go easy on you!
lol
Here are some more shots of the same BN.
Hope they help.

343.JPG 342.JPG 339.JPG

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It's a boy David. I have no doubt. I will mark up your pic and show you the last evidence I see. Congrats! You need to find a lady now!

I have circled the "boy spot" on the back of the head. The older he gets, the darker it will get. When he's ready to breed, it will be very dark and obvious and stay that way.

343.JPG

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Thanks Debbi, good thing I asked, thought it was a lady.
lol
Learned something new today!

David

Industrial

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
Buffalo, NY
David can you see the big difference in the length of these female's dark belly areas. Now most of these are carrying eggs, some more than others which pushes that area up more. But even without being this full of eggs, the females dark belly area does not extend down as far as the males. It's easier to tell male from female in the light colored plecos using this method. With the browns, it's better to get a look from the top down at the shape of the sides. Males are tapered through the sides much more. On the browns, unless you're looking in person it's hard to tell from a pic exactly where the dark area ends.
And I thought my long fin looked great!

Those are beautiful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store