Brown algea?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leginess

Flip, Flip, Flipadelphia!
Jul 7, 2010
Nebraska
I got some brown algea starting on some of my deco, and on some of my rocks. Anyone got any ideas of what it is and if its bad?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
If it is a new tank (or even if it isn't in some cases) then you might have brown diatoms that go away with time, or that snails love to munch. A picture would be very helpful in identification though if you could post one.

Leginess

Jul 7, 2010
Nebraska
Should i get some snails?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
It isn't neccessary...if your tank is still new or cycling then they will most likely go away on their own eventually. I happened to have pest snails that ate mine when my tank was cycling, but it isnt something that you HAVE to have. You can also scrape it off if you want to, but that isnt neccessary either.

taniner

AC Members
Aug 10, 2010
I'd wait it out... If it a fairly new tank, it should go away in a month or so. Get yourself several ottos to help with the clean-ups for now. I would stay away from getting snails... may become a problem later on if not controlled.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
I think it has alot more to do than whether or not it is just a new tank. Diatoms are apparently brought on by silica and phosphate. Silica is in the glass, and if you use certain sands for substrate, there too. So in those cases, in time, the diatoms may eventually go away. But you may also have some of these elements present in your water, especially if it is well water like mine. I still get slight amounts of diatoms 18 months after setting up a tank, but nearly as much as after initial setup. I just keep my glass clean and with my WC's. If it continues to be a real problem, there are products that will remove silica and phosphate from the water. I choose not to use them because they usually have to be replaced/regenerated every so often and it just gets time consuming and costly. Just my .02, good luck.

Leginess

Jul 7, 2010
Nebraska
alright, thanks for all the help you guys, and um, on a whole diff note, i have a really bad ich problem with my tank, but i have kuli loaches, so i cant put in salt or most medicines, how should i get rid of it???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store