Brown Spots on Glass and Rocks - Please Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

I find that many Rusty-Brown spots are growing on my Rocks and even on the front glass. What are these ? Some kind of Algae ? How do I fight them back and how to remove them ?

Please Help !
Thanks !
Kush

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
It's algae... you can reduce the amount of food and light in the tank, and that will help. Scrape off the stuff on the glass with a sponge or a plastic card...library card works pretty well.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
I dont all my books are here lol. Brown algae is from not enought light. plantgeek.net.

joestyx

I'm Not A Playa I Just Fish A Lot
Jan 24, 2008
Where Legends Are Born, MD
my pleco got rid of mine real quick after i got him

Snow1576

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
New York
That happened to me when I first set up my tanks, I would clean glass everyday. It goes away on it's own, I think it was like a month later.

Dave Noel

AC Members
Oct 29, 2007
I had that problem too a little while ago (new tank) then it turned to green algae, I reduced the amount of light during the day now I have that in check and everything is going well in my tank.

It will go away like everyone is saying.

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If the rock has enough iron as part of its composition, it will exhibit brown, rust like (oxidation). If it is upsetting the chemistry of your water, you can try limestone or some other type of rock/mineral.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store