Brown stuff on plant leaves

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Well, allow me to be more specific:

Waste is a relative term. A snail or shrimp doesn't necessarily see it as 'waste' just because it's fish excrement. For the fish, it's taken all it can get out of the food, so it's waste. For a lower level animal, there may still be nutritional value. Just because something is an "animal" doesn't mean that it needs fish quality food. On the contrary, the reason that snails are so useful in aquaria is because they can derive nutritional value from fish wastes as well as algae.

The reason I suggested Otos is because they are extremely adept at cleaning up diatoms, but are also a useful algae eater in general and are well suited to planted tanks. More importantly they're a neat fish, fun to watch, IMO.

My reason for suggesting animals in general is because I don't look at my aquaria as fish tanks, I look at them as ecosystems, so I try to build as much biological diversity as I can.

Pitufo:
To answer your question, I'd say that my biggest MTS' are about 3/4", but I think that I've read that they grow up to an inch to an inch and a half in length, at least, the shell does.

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I agree that adding animals to just fix a problem is wrong but, as also said create a diverse biome in your tank. For one your adding neat adapeted animals into an environment, and may see how some aspects of nature coexist. I love some breeds of snails, and the ottos look real neat may add some to a tank sometime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store