Brush hair algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
sounds good. i would definitely start now by starting to up your co2, lowering your spray bar that supplies your co2 and quitting on the midday siesta. that should help alleviate some pressure before then... then the fun begins.

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
So I've started in! Maybe wishful thinking, but since EI has started, pearling greatly increased, new plant growth evident everywhere, and the brush hair seems to be no worse, with some areas cleared everyday by the SAE's. So I think the tank is holding its own. I also cut lighting somewhat. Dropped midday overlap to 15-30 minutes or so. Total period is 8 hours, 4 on 2 bulbs, other 4 hous on other 2 just to even out bulb life.
I also started treating some of the Anubias down front. Pulled out 5 of them, sprayed with 3% hydrogen peroxide, let them sit for 5 minutes, rinsed them in de-chlorinated water, then replanted. Will take some pictures if anything happens.

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
how we doing?

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Well...I think the algae on the 5 anubias I hit with the peroxide is turning red. I'll take a photo tomorrow. As I understand, that's good! I'll give it a day or two more but if this works, I'll pull up everthing I can and hit it. Some of the plants and driftwood won't come up and I'll end up spot treating in place, likely with Excel similar to what you suggested (big water change, etc).
Also upped Co2 slightly and decreased photo period to 7 hours with 2 lights at a time. These things, and well as the change to EI dosing, seem to be working. Im encouraged. Thanks for asking. I'll update as things progress...

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
sounds great!

absolutely do the w/c and spray. the idea is you can get as much as possible at a time, then refill the tank since you can only put so much excel in a tank at a time without serious risks. hitting it directly (out of water since the water level will be below a good amount of covered surfaces) should seriously maximize your results and minimize your losses, time battling and the amount of excel you have to waste. the huge w/c also doubles (triples) as waste and spore removal to keep the tank clean and clear as possible until you get to manageable levels.

may seem like a big hassle, but with the right equipment (and "the contraption is pretty cheap if you can build one) it's fairly effortless and may save you a long life of hassle. some folks battle their bane of existence algaes for a long time. there's a guy that recently posted he'd been battling BBA for over a decade on another forum i frequent. mind you, that's a real extreme case.

if you need to, i can link you the parts i used for mine. the hose coupler was pretty expensive at ~$6, but the rest is a couple nickles here, a couple quarters there. if you know someone who's handy, it's likely they'll have the tools/primer/glue sitting around that you'll need to get everything together. that's where most of the cost is anyway.

EDIT: oops... yes... red is good. :grinyes:

1cooljeep

AC Members
Jan 31, 2011
Illinois
Real Name
Dave
Treated brush algae with hydrogen peroxide...

Its been 72 hours since I treated the 5 anubias in the R front of my tank with a spray of 3% hydrogen peroxide. I pulled the plants out of the tank, gave them a generous spray 2 or 3 times, let it sit for 3-4 minutes, the washed off in dechlorinated water and replanted. There is definitely a difference. I have 3 more, larger anubias plants I didn't treat, just in case it was bad for the plants. Plants look great, and algae is turned red. Here are 2 photos of a untreated plant and a treated plant. The treated algae are obviously more red. Hopefully, that means its dying! I'm going to treat the rest of the smaller, easily removed plants in the front of the tank today. Wish me luck. As you can see, there's a lot of it.

Untreated anubias coffeefolia
12-19-11 016.JPG

Treated anubias nana
12-19-11 015.JPG

12-19-11 016.JPG 12-19-11 015.JPG

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
oh, yeah... it's dying. i don't think that one treatment is going to finish the job, though. this stuff is resilient.

good luck!

dundadundun

Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store