Bubble Tip Tentacle Anemone Moving up onto the glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the1x1factor

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Thanks for the tips. I have done some measurement on my tank. Even though my tank is 7.9ft long the actual area i have covered with live rocks is 7 feet ( I have a internal overflow chamber and have also left some space on one side ). The height from the coral sand to the water level is 2.2 ft. As per what am thinking am not intending to keep any coral or invertibrates below 1.7ft from water level. Considering all this this is what i thought of doing.

1.) Get 2 MH ( 14000k @ 150w) immediately set it up and have my few corals and invertibrates under them.
2.) Get one more MH ( 14000k ) and so effectively i will have 6 feet of my tank under good lighting. Leave half feet on each side without light.

Also the guys who supplys me the lights says i can get 20000k mh @ 150w will this bee a good option?.

I know i am sounding very amateur here. But my main 2 problems are money / power constraints, 2 i dont want my invertibrates to die.... there aint much marine setups here where i can sort of give them to for the time being.

Also regaring the flow suppose i am having 750litres of watre in my tank the water circulations should be 75x25????

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
The kelvin (k) rating is often a matter of personal preference, and doesn't have to do with the power of the bulb. The higher the kelvin rating, the bluer the light, and the lower the rating the yellower the light. A kelvin rating of 10,000 is generally considered neutral. 10,000K and 14,000K are probably the most popular. Unfortunately, the color is also strongly dependent upon the brand. A 10,000K from one manufacturer might look white, while a 10,000K from another manufacturer might look yellow or blue. If possible, find a tank lit with the bulbs you are considering, to see how you like the color.

Here is a link with pictures comparing different MH lamps to give you an idea of the colors to expect with different lamps (scroll down for the pictures):

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
The kelvin (k) rating is often a matter of personal preference, and doesn't have to do with the power of the bulb. The higher the kelvin rating, the bluer the light, and the lower the rating the yellower the light. A kelvin rating of 10,000 is generally considered neutral. 10,000K and 14,000K are probably the most popular. Unfortunately, the color is also strongly dependent upon the brand. A 10,000K from one manufacturer might look white, while a 10,000K from another manufacturer might look yellow or blue. If possible, find a tank lit with the bulbs you are considering, to see how you like the color.

Here is a link with pictures comparing different MH lamps to give you an idea of the colors to expect with different lamps (scroll down for the pictures):

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm
Yeah.. There is quite a difference in the blueness of the bulbs.. I have seen 14k's that look as blue as 20k's.

the1x1factor

AC Members
May 17, 2007
Grins... i live in India.. so i dont think i will be able to outsource via a local reef club, local stores, ReefCentral, here on AC. I have to sort of place an order for it here even to get them from a neigbouring state as its not readily available.

Is it ok if i go with the setup i mentioned above.
1.) Get 2 MH ( 14000k @ 150w) immediately set it up and have my few corals and invertibrates under them.
2.) Get one more MH ( 14000k ) and so effectively i will have 6 feet of my tank under good lighting. Leave half feet on each side without light.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store