Bubble wall and CO2... don't mix?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a bubble wall... and now have CO2 (a passive CO2 system, not injected)... should I take out the bubble wall?

Thanks,

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Yes.. The bubble from the Bubble wall will cuases surface agitation which will remove CO2 from water.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Passive... it's not injected.

I have 2 canisters with airline tubing (for CO2) and 2 diffusers in the water.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah but the bubble want will also help oxygenate the water when the lights are out if the filter doesn't provide enough surface agitation. I run a small air stone on the opposite end of my tank as the Co2 to provide oxygen so the fish dont start gasping when the lights go out. It happened to me once with a Hagen Nutrifin setup on a 20 gallon. Since you are using a diffuser the CO2 should already be diffused into the water column. Their for the bubble wand may not have any effect.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The bubbles do a zig zag up the diffuser... I would assume that's to get the CO2 molecules into water column.

Hellbore

AC Members
Aug 31, 2010
What about running the bubbler on a timer so that when the lights are on, the bubbles are off, and when the lights are off the bubbles are on?

The timer I have my lights on would support this.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Yeah but the bubble want will also help oxygenate the water when the lights are out if the filter doesn't provide enough surface agitation. I run a small air stone on the opposite end of my tank as the Co2 to provide oxygen so the fish dont start gasping when the lights go out. It happened to me once with a Hagen Nutrifin setup on a 20 gallon. Since you are using a diffuser the CO2 should already be diffused into the water column. Their for the bubble wand may not have any effect.
the bubble wand helps promote gas exchange at the surface of the tank. the agitation will allow oxygen to enter the tank and will allow co2 to only really escape. the bubble wand will be near 100% counter productive.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
What about running the bubbler on a timer so that when the lights are on, the bubbles are off, and when the lights are off the bubbles are on?

The timer I have my lights on would support this.
that is a good idea.

The bubbles do a zig zag up the diffuser... I would assume that's to get the CO2 molecules into water column.
that is its purpose.

I run a small air stone on the opposite end of my tank as the Co2 to provide oxygen so the fish dont start gasping when the lights go out. It happened to me once with a Hagen Nutrifin setup on a 20 gallon.
use a drop checker to find how much co2 is in your water....other than that you are just guessing how much co2 is there. the bubbler is extremely counterproductive

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store