bubble wand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pr0gress

AC Members
Sep 10, 2004
ok so my kit came with a bubble wand and some clear tubing.

my kit doesn't have an air pump though.

so how do i use this? the blue wand goes under the gravel right? do i let the end come up through the gravel somewhere? then the clear tubing will run from the other end of the blue wand, up and out of the tank right? then i connect the end to an air pump that i'll have to buy, right?

brookelyn

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Bubble wands do not go under the gravel, but rather are stuck to a side (usually the back) of the aquarium using suction cups (did the kit includes these? if not most pet stores sell them separately).

Once you have purchased an air pump (Rena makes some pretty quiet ones), simply stick the bubble wand against the back of the aquarium with the suction cups, connect one end of the clear tubing to the open end of the wand, and then run the rest of the tubing out of the aquarium, and connect that end to the air pump. You should be set from here.

I usually remove the bubble wand twice a month, and clean it under some warm water with a tooth brush just to make sure there isn't any algae or other gunk blocking the air flow.

pr0gress

AC Members
Sep 10, 2004
hmmm mine specificaly says to bury it under the gravel (has a picture too), maybe u have a different kind?

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
I'm assuming you have the kind with a little 'tray' thing at the bottom. This is what they're talking about when you have to 'bury' it. If it isn't this kind than you don't have to if you don't want to bury it. I'm assuming the reason why they want you to bury it is so that it will stay down. Some wands are too light and need something to hold them under water.

I have had mine under the gravel and not under the gravel, doesn't make that much of a difference. Connect the tube to one cide of the wand and the other end of the tube goes to the pump.

pr0gress

AC Members
Sep 10, 2004
nope, no real tray thing at the bottom... its an eclipse corner 5 kit if that helps u out any. well i buryed it under the gravel and have the clear tube comming up out of the gravel and out of the tank, hopefully when i get an air pump tomorrow and hook it up it will work! how do the bubbles manage to come up threw the gravel?

(when i posted this thread originaly i didn't realize the blue wand had little tiny holes in it, i didn't understand how the bubbles were gonna come out)

pr0gress

AC Members
Sep 10, 2004
also, kinda off topic. i have the filter and everything running now, and i added bio-safe. will 12 hours running time be ok before i put fish into it? maybe 4 tetra or so?

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
also, kinda off topic. i have the filter and everything running now, and i added bio-safe. will 12 hours running time be ok before i put fish into it? maybe 4 tetra or so?
Its not safe to add fish without properly cycling a tank first. I wouldn't rely on products that claim to instacycle a tank or whatever.

Use Bio-Safe when setting up a new aquarium or when making water changes of 50% or more. It removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia from tap water to make it safe for fish in freshwater and marine aquariums. Treats 560 US gallons.
This is what i got from a google search on biosafe. Its only a water conditioner, doesn't cycle a tank (nor do many products). So to answer your question, no you shouldn't put fish in there after 12 hours. Read the cycling sticky in the newb section.

Last edited:

SomethingFishy

AC Members
May 1, 2002
Austin, TX
Real Name
Virginia
Also, if you don't have a check valve in your airline tubing, and you don't have the air pump yet you may accidentally siphon water out of the tank and onto the floor.

pr0gress

AC Members
Sep 10, 2004
yeah the directions mentioned a check valve (not included) is that something they would sell at a petsmart?

Lazersniper

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
WI
Visit site
:) glad you figured it out. If you really want to you could blow bubbles in the tube and watch it go lol. The gravel isn't 'air tight' it just comes up through the spaces. The only thing you'll find with it under the gravel is that when you vaccume the gravel you'll hit it and every little space it moves he gravel will eventually push it up to the top anyway.

If your looking for check valves make sure you shop around. At all my local pet stores they were like $4-6 a peice. I found them at wal-mart 2 for like $1.50, same brand and everything.

For a five gallon tank, I would cycle it before putting any fish in there, as any mistakes would be very costly. Or at the very least sead it with something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store