Buffalo Head

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bmeasure

Humble disciple of Jesus Christ
Aug 6, 2004
Savannah, GA.
Visit site
losthere said:
they are just fish, they are not humans get over it. They are stupid animals not capable of thought. I love keeping fish but they are fish. Hey if i can try to get it to survive why not they are cool fish.
Again, I'm at a loss for what to say to such people (I've gotten in trouble before for assuming people aren't joking!) Let me say this as Christianly as possible: If they are "just fish" then look at them in someone else's aquarium! It's really quite unfortunate that fish don't have laws protecting their "rights" like cats and dogs! I mean you can't even throw chickens into an arena for the sake of "I wonder who will win this cock-fight!", anymore! Some people feel the world revolves around them, I guess!

Text deleted because this is not the place for that discussion. -Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
anyone got any info on that aggresive thing? I noticed hes been calming down now that he has seemed to claim a rock hes, but now hes building a tunnel underneath it and moving around rock... what the heck is he up to!?

TONO

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Losthere you still have to respect animals. It's true they are just fish, and I think some people take animal rights it a little too seriously on this forum. But fish still breathe, they were not ask to be put into your tank.

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
I am still looking for a reply from someone who owns one, everytime I turn my back on this thing hes getting in trouble, today I got home to find him destroying my grass i just planted, now I have a tank full of grass floating around and a buffalo head with a full belly! what else does thing have up its sleve? :confused:

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
HeinekenMike, he's a cichlid, and cichlids do some pretty weird things! They are full of personality and equally as big trouble makers. When he's digging under ther rocks and patrolling his area its because he's staking his territory and building a nest. Be careful that he cant dig so far under the rock that it falls ontop of him.

Cichlids also like to rip up plants. For some its because they dont want them in thier territory, and dont 'like' the plants... and for others its because they are vegetarian and want to eat the plants... (or both). I dont believe buffaloheads are partly vegetarian, but im not entirely sure.

Either way, watch him closely because he could begin to beat on your other fish.

:)

PS- losthere, are you a fish? Do you know if they are capeable of minor thought or feeling? They are biologically made from the same stuff we are, so why should they be treated differently just because of the size of thier brain?

-Diana

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
this thing is nuts man, I was watching it just a second ago and it through a piece of gravel at me with its mouth, then looked up at me as if to tell me to watch it or something, and started destroying my grass again! he has really let up on the other fish now that he made that rock his house, anyway ill keep monitoring it for a week and let you know how it turns out. it had a female tank mate, should I go back to LFS and buy it, I think thay where a breeding pair, or will that just result in double trouble?

Bmeasure

Humble disciple of Jesus Christ
Aug 6, 2004
Savannah, GA.
Visit site
Get the female. The trouble of breeding is already there! He is going to set things up for this regardless of whether a female is there or not! God bless!

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
A female might make things worse though.... i'm not sure. Your tank seems large enough that even with the buffalo heads the other fish should still have some room.

See how he does and maybe in a week introduce the female. When you put her in make sure to re-arrange some rocks in his territory to put him off-gaurd so he wont attack the female. ;)

-Diana

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
he has destroyed every single plant I had.... not sure where I should go with this lol, dosent anything keep him buisy and away from destroying my plants?

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
losthere said:
they are just fish, they are not humans get over it. They are stupid animals not capable of thought. I love keeping fish but they are fish. Hey if i can try to get it to survive why not they are cool fish.
my blood parrot's left eye emits more intellect than this statement. :troll: :troll: :troll: :soda:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store