buffering soft water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

will74

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Kentucky
Is there a way to buffer soft water from a ro\di unit? I have all the test equipment, dh,kh,ph,tds meter, and a freshwater master test kit.

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I suggest a crushed coral treatment, it adds hardness to prevent PH instability and it makes it's PH rise... all at the same time...

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
Is there a way to buffer soft water from a ro\di unit? I have all the test equipment, dh,kh,ph,tds meter, and a freshwater master test kit.
You question, I have wondered about.

I used to work for Occidental Petroleum in the 1980's--their Ag Chem division--I was head of inventory control. We used to spread Calcium Sulfate on agricultural land, not only was this a cure for too acid a soil, it was also a cure for too alkaline a soil. And, of course, it would leech sodium down below where crop roots could pick it up and it stave off it having a negative effect on plant growth.

So, naturally, I have wondered about it as a buffer in aquariums. Too acid and it would "absorb" much of that effect ... too alkaline and it would "absorb" (or buffer these) this also ...

I mean, if it worked in fields, why not aquariums? By the way, calcium sulfate is gypsum--you can get this from smashing up sheetrock ... the material between the layers of "cardboard" is gypsum "calcium sulfate."

Regards,
JS

JohnSmith

Registered Member
Oct 4, 2008
You question, I have wondered about.

I used to work for Occidental Petroleum in the 1980's--their Ag Chem division--I was head of inventory control. We used to spread Calcium Sulfate on agricultural land, not only was this a cure for too acid a soil, it was also a cure for too alkaline a soil. And, of course, it would leech sodium down below where crop roots could pick it up and it stave off it having a negative effect on plant growth.

So, naturally, I have wondered about it as a buffer in aquariums. Too acid and it would "absorb" much of that effect ... too alkaline and it would "absorb" (or buffer these) this also ...

I mean, if it worked in fields, why not aquariums? By the way, calcium sulfate is gypsum--you can get this from smashing up sheetrock ... the material between the layers of "cardboard" is gypsum "calcium sulfate."

Regards,
JS
Oh yeah, I forgot ... since gypsum is near neutal, it does not change the PH significantly of the media you are adding it too ... indeed, this is the property, in itself, which made it so desirable for cropland ...

Regards,
JS

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
wow, adding gypsum to your tank is INSANE... they put glue in it ya know

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I don't like crushed coral used as a substrate because it always ends up looking dirty and gross IMO. If you decide to use CC you can put it into a media bag and plop it into your filter. Also i buy powdered Aragonite for my tanks, it usually is in the salty section but it seems to work fine in my freshwater tanks.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Its not hard at all to do, most people use Calcium Sulfate and Magnesium Sulfate. CaSO4 is easily obtained from rexgrigg or aquariumfertilizer.com. And MgSO4, epsom salt, is cheapest at the local pharmancy or grocery store.

You can even buy both pre-mixed, its called Grumpy's GH booster, which is sold at both places.

Dosing directions for all methods here: http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/dosing.html

And Seachem sell's Equilibrium too. Also all these options above allow you to use any substrate you please, and you can tailor the GH/KH specifically to any plant/fish.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
wow, adding gypsum to your tank is INSANE... they put glue in it ya know
I think he meant its used in sheetrock, dont think he meant to actually go find some and grind it up for aquarium use, lol. Pure Gypsum is CaSO4.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store