Building outside turtle pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
ya, but a chicken wire fence wont look very nice in their backyard...

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
ya, but a chicken wire fence wont look very nice in their backyard...
A short ( 12" or so ) chicken wire fence would darn near be invisible unless you were right next to it.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Over the years I've found that turtles will try to escape from wire fencing that they can't put their head through. Wire fencing that has large openings in it seems to work best. The turtle can sort of fit the front half of it's body through but not enough to escape. This confuses the turtle and basically makes it back up and begin to learn the perimeter of the enclosure. I use green garden fence as it looks nicer and works well at keeping my turtles contained. They have never once tried to climb or borrow out of my setup. The only downside to this type of fencing for me is that squirrels can get in and dig up the eggs and when the eggs that make it hatch, the babies can get out.

Here's a close up of the fencing.

Blueberry-Lunch2.gif

nickolbag

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
NJ
I was going to use bricks to wrap a nice brick wall around it. I figured I can make a large top out of wood and some kind of wire to lay over the top to keep animals out. When I am around I can just flip the top off, when I'm not around its easy enough to flip back on. I know the bricks will be a lot more than a simple wire fence but it will look a lot nicer and provide a nice seat to enjoy the pond!

nickolbag

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
NJ
I'm guessing that the male is harassing the female? Males are notoriously known for being horny animals. If given enough space the female can avoid the male so it will help to cut back on this behavior.
It was actually the other way around, the larger red ear female was harassing the yellow belly male. The male yellow belly was harassing the smaller eastern painted and the smallest of them all(eastern painted) was harassing the largest one(red ear). I hope building this large pond will keep the peace. I plan on having plenty of areas for them to come out and bask along with a good amount of land to come up on.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I know the bricks will be a lot more than a simple wire fence but it will look a lot nicer and provide a nice seat to enjoy the pond!
New bricks can run you anywhere from $0.43 - $0.69 each. Used sometimes cheaper and sometimes more. Any idea as to how large an area you are going to have to surround?? The cost can skyrocket.

nickolbag

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
NJ
New bricks can run you anywhere from $0.43 - $0.69 each. Used sometimes cheaper and sometimes more. Any idea as to how large an area you are going to have to surround?? The cost can skyrocket.
Drawing it out I think I will run a front and back wall from my patio screen to the fence. If I do that I will have about 37' of wall. If I add side walls instead of running it to the screen I figure about another 20'. I was also going to use the wall stones and not a standard brick, so cost will be a lot more per piece.

Also, with the space I figure I can get 1500-1700 gallons of water. Enough area to keep the peace?

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Drawing it out I think I will run a front and back wall from my patio screen to the fence. If I do that I will have about 37' of wall. If I add side walls instead of running it to the screen I figure about another 20'. I was also going to use the wall stones and not a standard brick, so cost will be a lot more per piece.

Also, with the space I figure I can get 1500-1700 gallons of water. Enough area to keep the peace?
Sounds like a plan. Hard to say not knowing the dimensions of the pond and only the volume, but I would think it would be ok. Remember you will need some deep water as well to keep out predators.

nickolbag

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
NJ
Sounds like a plan. Hard to say not knowing the dimensions of the pond and only the volume, but I would think it would be ok. Remember you will need some deep water as well to keep out predators.
I was going to go around 30" at its deepest. I am thinking a pond somewhere in the 15' x 15' range. Actually, that may come out to more gallons than I initially thought.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store