Bumblebee Gobies in a 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Instant Ocean makes a good one that reads all the way down to 1.000 (complete freshwater) which is necessary when dealing with such low level brackish as bbgs need.

You could do 3-5, but I would not do more than that. They are small and bioload-wise you could do more, but they are also somewhat territorial and need space to fan out and have "caves" and plants to breakup the line of sight.

Here's a link to a good rundown of how to mix brackish water and specifically how to raise your salinity. You should not raise the salinity by more than 0.002 per week so as not to kill the bacteria before it can acclimate. Most of the time, brackish fish are sold as freshwater and need to either be started in a cycled freshwater tank and slowly raised to the point they need to be at OR you can cycle a brackish tank at the level you want and then just acclimate the fish by drip method over the course of a couple hours.

Here's a link to an article about salt, specifically the differences between aquarium salt, marine salt, table salt, etc.

omplmpa3

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Wisconsin
If you are going to do sand, you may want to get one of the African Cichlid sands, as it should help to keep your pH at the higher levels associated with brackish water. With the salinity being so low you could add plants. Vals grow great for me in my brackish tanks, as do crypts and hairgrass. I use root tabs and dose with Excel. My BBGs like to hang out in tiny terra cotta pots. They are VERY picky about their food. They like it to be alive. Once in a great while I can get them to eat thawed glassworms, but other than that, it has to be alive. They may take other types of food into their mouth, but it's immediately spit back out.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Aragonite sand is another one that will keep the pH up and constant. Plus it comes in a cream color and a gray-black color.

I find my bbgs all over the tank, rarely in the caves, and they are eager eaters. I have no trouble getting them to eat frozen blood worms, mysis/brine/spirulina mix, Freshwater Frenzy, etc. As long as it is suspended/pushed in the filter output for a bit, they go after it like crazy.

Keeshaw

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
I have 12 bbgs in a 29H WITH 8 FEMALE&2 MALE Guppys. The fry make fresh food for bbgs.

Bioshock

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
I've kept six in a 10gal before and fed them on frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and live brine shrimp and after a long time trying I gave up on them ever eating flakes. As recommended a hydrometer is must. Another idea to make it easier on yourself and is what I used to do to save time, instead of mixing your own brackish water up you can buy pre mixed jugs of sea water and just add a portion of the jug at each water change to achieve the brackish water needed but the hydrometer is necessary here. This way is easier than trying to mix up the mixture yourself and its not really that much more expensive as your not using a lot of the pre mixed jug per water change when dealing with a 10g. edit-forgot to mention I used them to 'cull' unwanted guppy fry also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store