Buying fish online?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You may want to wait another month until it's not so cold to mail order fish. & also the highest heat of summer is not great. Yes, they may have heat or cold packs but why risk it? There could be delays...

Plan on a hefty shipping charge no matter where you buy. It's often based on weight & distance. Those $4 fish maybe a LOT more expensive than you may think. & even if they have a great refund policy for DOA fish, it almost NEVER includes shipping. You likely just get a "credit" for dead fish on your next order. Ask a lot of questions & carefully read. Buyer beware!!

If you have a big city nearby, it may be worth a phone call to see if any lfs have the fish you want & the gas $$ to get there. Fishy road trips can be lots of fun! I always like to see before I buy. I've done mail order 4 or 5 times in 30+ years...but all went very smoothly. Just my thoughts...

Reactions: Jazmin0303

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Spartanburg, South Carolina
You may want to wait another month until it's not so cold to mail order fish. & also the highest heat of summer is not great. Yes, they may have heat or cold packs but why risk it? There could be delays...

Plan on a hefty shipping charge no matter where you buy. It's often based on weight & distance. Those $4 fish maybe a LOT more expensive than you may think. & even if they have a great refund policy for DOA fish, it almost NEVER includes shipping. You likely just get a "credit" for dead fish on your next order. Ask a lot of questions & carefully read. Buyer beware!!

If you have a big city nearby, it may be worth a phone call to see if any lfs have the fish you want & the gas $$ to get there. Fishy road trips can be lots of fun! I always like to see before I buy. I've done mail order 4 or 5 times in 30+ years...but all went very smoothly. Just my thoughts...
Thank you so much for the advice! I have noticed that the shipping costs are very expensive for a lot of different places. I’m starting to think that I’ll just look around the fish stores nearby, I really wouldn’t wanna risk some fish passing away because of the weather or just the stress from the shipping...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store