Cable Broadband Users, Get Ready For Overage Fees

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
LOL.....we have been charged as this in the UK for a good while now....HA HA HA HA...suffer little children.... :mad2:
we are the land of the free! we will not stand for this.

back to mooching wireless.. :D i mean, uh.. :devil:

JimInIndy

AC Members
Dec 9, 2007
LOL.....we have been charged as this in the UK for a good while now....HA HA HA HA...suffer little children.... :mad2:
And with statements like this, they let you moderate this forum???
:headshake2:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
1,000kb = 1mega byte
1,000mb = 1giga byte
1,0000gb = 1tilla byte
You're almost correct:
1024bytes = 1 megabyte
1,024 megabytes = 1 gigabyte
1,024 gigabytes = 1 terabyte

a small "b" means BITS
8b = 1B

a large "B" means BYTES

These charges are directed not only to confuse the user, to stop bandwidth congestion, but to also stop peer-to-peer file sharing. Another way of micromanaging the user and scalping them.

With Fiber (optical) going mainstream to residential level, the ability to download massive files in seconds will saturate the networks quickly. So either speed caps or quotas have to be implemented.

:wall:

Last edited:

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
I was close! I thought it was trilla bite but now I remember it's tera, doh! I was close for not knowing much.

I figured they would do this so we wouldn't be using torrents anymore but I so love to download metallica albums over and over again for no reason.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
With Fiber (optical) going mainstream to residential level, the ability to download massive files in seconds will saturate the networks quickly. So either speed caps or quotas have to be implemented.
then lower the price and lower the speeds. verizon says they wont do any caps which i hope they stick up to. they need to update their networks then......

they already have caps..... once the ops or co or something like that in for verizon they claim each line could do 400 up and down.... i dont think they should be able to cap the speed and limit your use. pick one go with it..... they want to limit the gb bandwith then pull the caps off.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
And with statements like this, they let you moderate this forum???
:headshake2:

Ummmm...and what has me making a statement about us in the UK having to pay for extra bandwidth got to do with how i moderate on AC?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
"With Fiber (optical) going mainstream to residential level, the ability to download massive files in seconds will saturate the networks quickly. So either speed caps or quotas have to be implemented."

Bingo!!!

the problem is not the provider but limitations at the site you download from.
they can upgrade all they want but the more users the more demand this will create a choke point and can crash a network.

I use to work for a large internet retailer I mean large retailer..we had an OC-48 on site. 200,000 sq ft data center.
the site crashed due to internet demand the day after thanksgiving 1 year.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store