Callamanus worms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
what the heck does he mean by:
"so very often the waterchanges do in the fish as well"
Not sure, but I think that the stress that very large water changes (such as the 80-100% that he recommends when treating the tank) can put a sick fish over the edge?

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Not sure exactly waht he meant.

From what he wrote to me in an email, most people don't do large water changes very often, so, the fish are not used to them. I've heard many times of people doing a water change, after a long period without them, and losing all of they're fish. He said, and don't quote me, I didn't look up the email, but he said that I should have no problem with the 100% water change, because I do large changes every week. I'm sorry to hear that all of your fish died. Callamanous worms have killed some of mine, and some when I medicated. On the bright side, as long as your local fish store didn't sell you infected fish, your tank is clear of the parasite, and the new fish should have no problem. Sorry, though.

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
That makes sense about the large water changes. I do at least 25% WC's each week as well, and sometimes 50%.

I'm not sure if the tank is free from the parasite though, as the 2nd treatment has not been done so there may be some eggs still in Boxercrazy's substrate since Levamisole does not affect the unhatched eggs! I'm not sure how long they can live without a host fish - will have to look into that.

It seems to me that if fish are added to the tank as is, then theoretically they can become infected by the worms when they eat the newly hatched larvae.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

In any case, I'd tear down that tank and start over or continue with the second treatment to kill the remaining (if any) hatched worms.

From what he wrote to me in an email, most people don't do large water changes very often, so, the fish are not used to them. I've heard many times of people doing a water change, after a long period without them, and losing all of they're fish. He said, and don't quote me, I didn't look up the email, but he said that I should have no problem with the 100% water change, because I do large changes every week. I'm sorry to hear that all of your fish died. Callamanous worms have killed some of mine, and some when I medicated. On the bright side, as long as your local fish store didn't sell you infected fish, your tank is clear of the parasite, and the new fish should have no problem. Sorry, though.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Whoops! Sorry, my mistake. I thought he had done the second treatment. If not, I would continue medicating, even though there are no fish in the tank. The eggs hatch after about two weeks(according to what I read), that's why you treat after two weeks, from the first treatment. Your trying to catch them hatched, but not sexually mature, so, they can't lay more eggs. You could just save the meds. and do a weak household bleach solution, to sterilize the tank. That way, if you get more worms, you won't have to buy a whole lot more medication. Just the amount to make up the difference. I don't know the percentage of bleach to water to use, but you use household bleach, water, and let it sit for a time. Then, rinse with fresh water, until you don't smell bleach anymore, and use a dechlorinator to take out the remnants(bleach is denatured by dechlorinator, as in chlorine bleach). If you have live plants, I'd just re-medicate, though. The bleach will kill anything alive in the tank. Anyone know how to bleach a tank? Do your nets, buckets, hoses, and all that, too. Discard your carbon, if you use it. It'll absorb the bleach, and will be useless afterwards. I just poured a healthy amount of bleach into a big tub, filled with water, and all of my equipment, and let it sit a half an hour.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store