Camallanus Worms - now you see them, now you don't.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
I went back to some Dec. pics when she was so bad and blew them up. Check this out - clearly had worms coming out of two orifices, poor thing. These parasites can bore through anything. Her ovipositor is what's still dangling, but even that is getting smaller as time goes by. Still using the epsom salts.

bo1224.jpg

bo1224.jpg

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I do not have the patience to read through this thread so I have no idea if anybody has posted this, in fact I may even have done so and am now repeating myself (I am old, so I am allowed.) but.....
Go here, read it, then buy the stuff from Dr. Harrison.
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleTreatment.pdf

If you can afford it, get enough to keep on hand and then consider adding this to your order since it is also excellent for the same purpose and other nasties.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Fresh water use Levamisole HCl powder - serious treatment for Camallanus Nematode internal parasite infestation[/SIZE][/FONT]
Buy this stuff here http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html

I have both meds on hand. There are often used for treating recently imported wild caught fish.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
That's okay, Two Tank, it's mostly pictures anyway. ;) The fenbendazole in Safeguard 4 has shown to be extremely effective and fast-acting, and it's widely available, but the bigger problem is internal damage and bacterial infections. As for Levamisole, I don't think it's the magic bullet that some online believe it to be. None of my books recommend it for Camallanus because it doesn't kill the eggs. Sorry if I've posted this scan before, but here ya go.

bkfenbendazole.jpg

bkfenbendazole.jpg

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Just an update to say that Bo continues to thrive with no sign of worms and her prolapse is barely noticeable. She's back to eating her veggies and just about everything else. I gradually removed the epsom salts, fed her Metro-soaked bloodworms every other day for one week and no meds since. Her HITH improved quite a lot. You can barely see the pockets as they've healed over.

bo0215a.jpg

bo0215b.jpg

Since this thread is indeed a long slog, I'll recap later on what I've learned in hopes it may help others.

bo0215a.jpg bo0215b.jpg

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
omg!!! BO you such a trooper and you are an amazing fish owner!!!! Im so happy for you and BO!!

good news on my end as well..what I thought was worms was him expelling old dead ones...I treated the tank with the fenbendozole AND levamisole flakes from angels plus.

now every fish i get is fed these foods for twice the recommended duration. and QT time is doubled...I never EVER again want this bug in my tanks.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Thanks, K. I'm with you, I NEVER want to see these disgusting things again and will deworm whether I think they need it or not. I'm not a fan of medicating needlessly, but this drug appears relatively harmless to fish. When medicating the tank I even dumped some in right on top of her to get the full effect. lol

kudd187

AC Members
Jan 25, 2013
Ironton, Minnesota
Real Name
Blake
My community tank just got these "hell worms" i feel so bad for my fish so as soon as i noticed it i jumped on ebay and bought 10 mg levamsoil powder and

Fish Bendazole (Fenbendazole) Powder 250mg (12 Packets). Has anyone herd of the second one? I mean specificly fenb made for fish? i sure hope it works and it will be here by the 28th. I plan on soaking the fenb in some freeze dried blood worms and adding the lev powder to the tank before or while im feeding them the medicated BWs. Does that sound like it would work or should i mix the two meds together and soak the meds in that and then just dump water and all into the tank? I just want to kill these things the first few treatments i do! Does anyone know if these worms can infect platy fry? 3 of my girls are gonna drop this week and i have some a few weeks old that im unsure they are infected or not. Another member that fought this crap with you refered me to this post and you guys seem like the ones to know! :rolleyes:

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I now after quarantining fish dose them with Meds to avoid these things. My poor Bolivian rams got these awful things and they died very very quickly. Good news is that I have just added four Bolivians that have been q'd and medicated to my main tank and they seem very well.
Tony

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
So glad that your experience with these didn't turn you off Bolivians, Tony. I think you'll find they are normally quite hardy fish, with loads of personality.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
So glad that your experience with these didn't turn you off Bolivians, Tony. I think you'll find they are normally quite hardy fish, with loads of personality.
I have realised just how unwell my two Bolivians were when I bought them last time. The four I have are literally worth watching all day/night, incredible watching them set boundaries and a pecking order. Just wish they would learn what was food and not only eat the plecos wafers :eek:)
Totally changed my stocking around them and decided on 4 Bolivians and one angelfish instead of more angels. Going to wait a month or so before getting the angel and maybe a school of tetras. I did order another batch of the worm killer..... Just in case.....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store