Can anyone help me out with my convicts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
Yeh a 20 long will be fine for a long time, but eventually when they reach say 4+ inches personally I think they would enjoy a bigger tank, I plan on getting at least a 55 gallon or bigger in June next year when I get my tax return :) but for now im saving up hard for a car :grinyes:

As for my tank, i have very fine white gravel about 2 inches for substrate, a small piece of driftwood, a flower pot, and some rocks..the only real caves are the flower pot and the driftwood which is hollow and they like to swim through it. The male isnt actually nipping their fins he just chases them around alot when they enter his field of view..my plan was to wait for a pair to develop and then take the other females back to the lfs, so hopefully he stops being a bully sometime soon..theres a really nice pair of cons that are a touch over 6 inches at my lfs and their awesome..i want mine to be like that one day...

cheers..

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
it would be better imo to have more hiding places than you have fish. with only two places offering security, they will fight over them more. even if it looks crowded, throw in a couple more flower pots.

jameshilljr

Kanien'k?haka-People of the Flint
Jun 8, 2008
Sanford, NC
I have my con pair in a 10g(with 1 flower pot and 1 piece of driftwood) for now(the male is 2" and the female is 1.5")
They have spawned 4x now, but the male keeps eating the fry:silly:-so I put him in a breeder net until the last set of the fry get bigger.
Hopefully you will have some luck with your cons.

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
Hey everyone...
I've just done something ive been wanting to do for ages..got a pair of convicts..well I havn't got a pair just yet I have 3 females 1 inch long and a male 1.5 inches long..they have been in the tank 2 days and the male is bullying all three females..my question is if I let them settle in and feed them well do you think my chances of my male pairing up with one of the females is good? At this stage he is bullying them all...chasing them around, at times pretty relentlessly..

My tank is a 20 gallon long..will a pair of convicts eventually outgrow a 20 long? Oh one other thing..I bought them all from the same lfs so there probably from the same batch of fry..is that a problem if i'm after a pair?

I know convicts are as common as anything and easy to keep but for some reason I find them fascinating :)

thanks for your help :)
being as (AGAIN) I have more Convict fries ...

first off:

a male will run off females if he
  1. pairs up with a ripe female
  2. has mated and has eggs, wigglers, or fry already
keep in mind that once you relieve the male from his fry he will go on to the next female unless his current one is ready to spawn again

dilhcic

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
well I came home today and found that my male has paired up with one of the females and now that female is displaying quite brilliant coulors and both the male and the female swim around together and attack the other 2 females..so Im fairly sure ive got a pair :) its only a matter of time before i'll be overwhelmed by babies :p i'll take the other females back to the lfs asap..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store