Can I add fish again???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hermxl1

Loud Tank Pumps Really Suck!!!
May 3, 2004
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I've decided to give my 2 really big Pacu's to my cousin who has a better home for them in his 125G tank. The problem is that the tank, although still running and filtering, has not had any fish in it for about 3 months. It used to be the home of 3 snakeheads for about 18 months but he gave those to someone else.

My question is, is it safe to add the Pacu's to the empty tank with out forcing a cycle first? Everything I know about aquariums tells me that its not a good idea because the tanks bio load should have died out without any fish waste but I'm not sure.

Any comments????

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I'd say all the bacteria is surely gone by now. If there is some way you can take your filters from that tank and put them on his at the same time you move the fish that may work? Otherwise, I'd just do a fishless cycle and seed it from your tank so it won't take as long.

hermxl1

Loud Tank Pumps Really Suck!!!
May 3, 2004
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Sorry for the long response, I've been offline for a while. I have 2 Penguin 330's on my tank, but the other tank has a Magnum 300 I think on it.

I'm thinking about putting some gravel from my tank in his and maybe a few goldfish.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
what I would do is when you are going to change the filter floss on your tank, save some of the filter floss in a bag and give that to your friend ASAP, have him put that in his filter and a couple fish to keep the bacteria alive untill you add the pacu, thats how i "silent" cycled my 20g tall, never had a spike, just started seein nitrates show up. FWIW

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store