Can I have a crayfish???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
I was thinking of getting a crayfish of some sort for my 55 gallon, but obviously don't want to if it'll be a terrible idea :)

My current stock is 3 angels, 5 rainbows, 2 SAE, 3 BSN, 2 bolivian rams and 2 bamboo shrimp. The tank is planted an overfiltered. Would there be any compatibility issues in either direction?

If a cray would work in this tank, what kind would be best?

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
check out this thread. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227908

i keep crays, the only problems i see are the 2 bamboo shrimp- if there slow and dont move much the cray will get them(i dont know alot about bamboo shrimp)
and 2 the plants, crays will chew/eat plants.

BUT blue crayfish are freaking kool, they are bright, active, great cleaner-upers, they eat anything

laurenrocksth

AC Members
Jun 24, 2008
Milford, NH
Whoops!!! I forgot my 5 cories. They're pretty fast, but they are bottom dwellers. Problem?

kimosabe

AC Members
Dec 31, 2009
MA
the only thing i see is that some of your plants will be eaten and keep the crays well fed
other than that youll be ok

piggy67

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Battle Creek, Mich.
Real Name
Dion
P.alleni(blue lobster/cray) are sweet. I have one in a 55 hex with some acei, crystal red cichlids. One of the reds even hangs out in the cave with him BUT if a cray can catch it, its a gonner so be very careful. Keep it fed well and it should only nibble on your plants/fish :rolleyes: , you probably trim more than it will eat.

haterr

AC Members
Aug 14, 2009
u can try dwarf crayfish such as the dwarf cajun crayfish C.shufeldtii or dwarf mexican crayfish cambarelus patzcuarensis aka cpo. Both types of dwarf crays are plant safe and relatively fish safe. i keep my cajuns in planted community tanks with no issues (neocardina shrimp, cories, albino bristlenose plecos, guppies and cardinal tetras) i have kept them together for years now. good luck

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
The fish in that tank could probably make a snack out of the dwarf cray species. I don't keep any fish that I would be sad if they died with my cray. I had some adult guppies with her and she never actually caught one but she did cut their tails off. One was so close to the fleshy part that all she did for days was sit in one spot. She really looked to be in pain.

I would be afraid to put a cray in your tank for this reason.

azolla

Invertafreak
Feb 26, 2010
Cape Cod, MA
I keep a solitary male P. Clarkii in a 150 gallon with multiple plecos and such. The plecos are about a foot long and are not bothered by him though I have witnessed them sucking on his carapace, lifting him off the ground. Other than that no problems. Probably because he is the smallest critter in the tank.:werd:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store