Can I Keep These Fish Together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish are love

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2016
I have a 43 gallon fish tank and want to add some extra fish. I need to know if the following fish are compatible (note: I have three Guppies in the tank now)

1-2 Angelfish (I'm aware they will eat guppies and neons, but what if I get them when they are young?)
1-2 German Blue Rams
1-2 Pearl Gouramis
4-6 Hatchetfish
7-10 Neon/Cardinal Tetras.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
Get the angels at .25 piece size and it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe even nickel if you are that afraid. The rest of the stock is great sans the gouramis. I would do this, if it were my tank:

1 angel (centerpiece; you could do two easily here though)
GBR or Bolivian ram pair
10 bloodfin tetras
5 hatchets (plenty of top cover and floating plants, and a tank screen are necessary)

It's down to space requirements for the gouramis. I would never do more than one in something less than 45g because of the way they tend to go at each other over just about anything. Nothing serious, but they will harass and nip each other's fins until they just about fall off. I've seen it.

Fish are love

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2016
Get the angels at .25 piece size and it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe even nickel if you are that afraid. The rest of the stock is great sans the gouramis. I would do this, if it were my tank:

1 angel (centerpiece; you could do two easily here though)
GBR or Bolivian ram pair
10 bloodfin tetras
5 hatchets (plenty of top cover and floating plants, and a tank screen are necessary)

It's down to space requirements for the gouramis. I would never do more than one in something less than 45g because of the way they tend to go at each other over just about anything. Nothing serious, but they will harass and nip each other's fins until they just about fall off. I've seen it.
Thanks. I noticed you replaced Neon Tetras with Bloodfin Tetras any particular reason why?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
No problem! The numbers of the schoolers can very, by the way. Shoot, I did! My bad >< haha. I meant cardinals. Someone on another post was talking about bloodfins :) I also forgot the gourami...jeeze I'm slacking. KEEP one gourami. My gourami never bothered my angels and vice versa, and my angels were 9 years old before the last of the pair passed away.

Fish are love

Registered Member
Apr 25, 2016
No problem! The numbers of the schoolers can very, by the way. Shoot, I did! My bad >< haha. I meant cardinals. Someone on another post was talking about bloodfins :) I also forgot the gourami...jeeze I'm slacking. KEEP one gourami. My gourami never bothered my angels and vice versa, and my angels were 9 years old before the last of the pair passed away.
Would 1 gourami and 1 angelfish work. If so which should be added to the tank first?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Would 1 gourami and 1 angelfish work. If so which should be added to the tank first?
This would work only for the Pearl Gouramis. Other Gouramis, IMO, do not get along with Angels, and visa versa.

PS--My large Angels do not eat, or even try to eat, my Cardinals and Neons. I got my Angels very young many years ago, and they grew up with the Cardinals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store