Can I place White Cloud Mountain minnows in a tank with shubunkin Goldies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldkelly

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2016
New Jersey
Real Name
Kelly McCool
I am upgrading my two small shubunkin goldfish to a 55 gallon planted aquarium and want to introduce another species of fish. I am thinking of adding a school of White Cloud Mountain minnows in as well after the goldfish go in, but have read that minnows are fin nippers. Does this apply to slower, flowy finned varieties like fancy goldfish, or to faster shubunkin and comet varieties as well? I don't want the minnows nipping at my goldfish, but I really do want to add a fish other than goldfish to the tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Should work fine.

I've got 3 rescued platys in with my goldfish in a 55g. They've done excellent in this room temperature tank that can get down to 66-67F.

Reactions: goldkelly

chenning

AC Members
Oct 2, 2016
White Clouds are harmless and will not bother your goldfish. They can all go outside in the summer and just an FYI your goldfish will likely double in size if they spend time in the great outdoors. I'd use a 100 gal stock tank.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
My personal worry would be the goldfish eating the whiteclouds.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Short finned, long body fish are targeted much less for fin nipping. I think the white clouds would be fine. Try it out and keep an eye on them just in case but it should work out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store