Can Morton's Iodized salt be used to treat Ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
hehehe, you nearly gave Dave a heart-attack....... good luck though
yeah what she said!!. Glad to see it was a typo, we had someone not long ago who mis-understood the dosing and it ended up pretty bad . I was a little worried that dosing was underway.
Dave

Biznatch

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I'm just about to finish getting up to 2tsp/gal today. I put 1 1/2 cups of salt into a bucket (I have a 72 gallon tank) and added something like 24 cups of water to fully disolve it. Then added like 2 cups of the solution every hour. Finished the first set on day 1, and then did the next set the same way on day 2. My fish haven't been streesed at all so far. No panicking or anything. In fact my silly tiger barbs/wanabe tiger barbs (clown loaches swimming with the barbs) go swim into the salt water i just poured in. Not even my new gold nugget pleco is showing stress that I can see (thank god he was an expensive fish). The ich is not visible and hopefully will be gone in a week or 2.

edit- and I just used plain rock salt since we didn't have enough iodized salt here.

Last edited:

SodeeMama

...whatya mean it needs water???
Feb 15, 2005
Longview, WA. USA
DJSCIASCIA said:
I always thought that Iodized salt was no good for fish and that regular table salt is fine.
Iodized (treated) salt can't be good - although, like most things medicinal - it may, or may not be the cause of further ailments.

Just give those guys regular sea salt. Can't fail with something that comes straight from the source, right?

Biznatch

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
If you mean the stuff you use in salt water tanks, that is the one salt you aren't supposed to use. It has other stuff that isn't needed in freshwater and from what I read you really should not use that ever.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
If you mean the stuff you use in salt water tanks, that is the one salt you aren't supposed to use. It has other stuff that isn't needed in freshwater and from what I read you really should not use that ever.
Depends largely on which sea salt is being discussed. You are absolutely correct if you are talking about salt mixes for reef tanks. however in order to add to the vast confusion of salt use, there is a food grade NaCL product on the market labeled sea salt. which is as good as table salt, rock salt, kosher salt etc. for the purpose of treating ich.

Cichlid salts, and seawater mixes are to be avoided. food grade salt or pure (close to pure) NaCl is fine.
[/QUOTE]Iodized (treated) salt can't be good - although, like most things medicinal - it may, or may not be the cause of further ailments.
Iodide is
#1. something all living organisms need at some level.
#2. and most importantly, it is in Salt at a level that is so minute it couldn't be hazardous for short term treatment. the anti-caking agents found in most Food grade NACL are likewise in trivial quantities.
Dave

MrAquarium

AC Members
Mar 13, 2005
I was under the asumption that plain salt is what you could use for years,
we talked about this in another forum/chat room I visit and I found out that is not the case at all, you can use Iodide salt in aquarium.
Reg F/W Aquarium salt, Plain salt, iodide salt all are ok for treating,
NEVER use anything else, Brackish/ saltwater salts Is not good for most f/w fishses.....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Gonna' throw a wrench here...But I've used marine salt with no problems as well. It depends on what the water parameters are--if you have a low KH, low PH tank, marine salt won't be great. But, if you have neutral to hard water, marine mix is fine--the concentration being used isn't high enough to significantly alter water chemistry--afterall, the intent of the mix is to bring pH up to 8.3 when used at full concentration for saltwater--a few teaspoons/gallon just won't do that.

SodeeMama

...whatya mean it needs water???
Feb 15, 2005
Longview, WA. USA
Biznatch said:
Question:

Then why does medicinal aquarium salt (that is used to treat :sick: ich) say "evaporated sea salt" as the only primary ingredient?

Just posin' the question.

:dance2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store