Can somebody tell me about these fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dekz

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
I'm going to start stocking my 55 gallon FOWLR tank in a week or two, so I've been checking out what all the pet stores have.

Things I already know about/definitely want:
Firefish
Clownfish
Bangai Cardinal
Royal Gramma

Things I've seen at the store but I don't know much about as far as tank size/aggression issues:
Flame Angel
Koran Angel
Coral Angel
Green Chromis
Bi-Color Blenny
Cleaner Wrasse
Foxface
Dragon Wrasse
Sand-sifting goby

Now I know that obviously I can't get anywhere near all of these fish. Are there any that get too big for a 55? Any incompatibilities with the other fish I've listed?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Your "wants" sound fine.. as for the others you want to know about:

Flame and Coral Beauty are both Dwarf Angels. You can have 1 Dwarf angel in your size tank, so pick your favorite.
Koran needs a bigger tank
Green Chromis, good choice for your tank, they like the school so if you get some, get 3 or more. Same goes for Cardinals and Firefish.
Bi-Color.. cool but sits in a rock mostly and my limited personal experience showed they are a little too aggressive for my liking. I would recommend a Midas over a bi-colored blenny.
Cleaner Wrasse.. not really recommended. Hard fish to make happy in a tank.
Foxface.. cool peaceful fish but a 55G is just a tad on the small side for them.
Dragon Wrasse.. no personal experience, but they look cool and seem like they could be an ok FOWLR fish but they do require a 125G tank when fully grown, so not recommended for your tank.
Sand Sifting goby.. 2 main ones are Dragon/Bullet and Diamond. Both make a mess with sand. I would recommend the Dragon over the Diamond, they seem more hardy and a little less jumpy. I prefer shrimp gobies, like the Yellow Watchman or any of its relatives.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not much else to add to what ace mentioned other than there is a good chance a school of chromis will eventually be a single chromis. If you really want 2 dwarf angels you can get a pair. +1 to the midas blenny but the midas will be considerably bigger (but not too big for your tank).

Dekz

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
The problem is that I live in a relatively small city and the selection at the pet stores isn't awesome. You just have to hope that they have e fish that you are looking for on the day that you go to the store.

So I'm thinking:
Firefish
Bangai Cardinal
Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Flame Angel
Yellow Tang
Some kind of small Blenny

How does that sound. Too much?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Everything except the yellow tang. All tangs need swimming room regardless of their size as juveniles. Chances are the fish will be stressed and that can lead to ich outbreaks and other things you just don't want to deal with.

Dekz

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
Everything except the yellow tang. All tangs need swimming room regardless of their size as juveniles. Chances are the fish will be stressed and that can lead to ich outbreaks and other things you just don't want to deal with.
Ya I often see 55 listed as the minimum tank size for a yellow tang. Hmmm, we'll have to see if something else catches my eye.

Maybe 3-4 Chromis instead?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You really need a 120+ (minimum) for yellow tang IMO. There are a few smaller tangs like the yellow eye kole tang but even those need a 75-90 minimum.

I really think you will end up with only 1 chromis. You may be the exception but in most cases they fight until only 1 is left even in much larger tanks.

Are you going to have shrimp? If not then a flame hawk or long nose hawk would be cool. I also like wrasses. Melenarus or Christmas wrasse would be nice or even a Radiant or Mystery wrasse.

Dekz

AC Members
Jul 29, 2008
Are you going to have shrimp? If not then a flame hawk or long nose hawk would be cool. I also like wrasses. Melenarus or Christmas wrasse would be nice or even a Radiant or Mystery wrasse.
Hmmm, ive never seen any of those at any LFS. But you did remind me of a fish that I can't believe I forgot; how about a Six-line Wrasse?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
6 lines are hit and miss.. they are jumpers.. and it is 50/50 it seems if they are super aggressive or peaceful.. never know though until you bring it home and try.

Most of the people around me have great success with Chromis. Here is a picture of 2 that got along great for 5 years.. maybe 2-3 is the magic answer because most people I have met with chromis say they always have around 3 that are fine, but most start off with 7-9 in larger tanks and they dwindle down to 3, but stabilize after that.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
Six lines are cool little fish but can be slightly aggressive when first added. And with the firefish, make your your tank is covered! They are great jumpers...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store