Can you tell what type of lighting this is?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ska d

AC Members
Jun 1, 2012
I just can't pass it up. Even if I can only keep a few corals it is my only chance at decent lighting for the tank. I will never afford fixtures at $500+ and will probably never find someone willing to go under $100 on one again.
Have to agree. You will almost definitely have to replace those bulbs probably sooner than later. Not sure how much cf s are but even at 50 bucks a shot you're already at 200 a year. How deep is the tank tank. I use two t5ho fixtures on a 24" deep tank and can keep most softies and lps coral. Tried to send pic but says I'm not authorized to do so?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ska d

AC Members
Jun 1, 2012
Sorry quoted wrong response. Don't waste your time. A two bulb t5 high output fixture runs less than 200. Ati bulbs (aqua blue special and blue plus) run less than 30 each. You won't regret it, but I'm guessing you will if you buy that unit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah but this is a 6 foot long 125g tank. I would need at least a 4 bulb fixture and that's a minimum of $400. If I go 8 bulb I'm looking at $600+. Honestly though, I may regret this purchase but for only $75 I can make my money back on Craigslist any time I upgrade and now I don't have to buy any new fixture until I can afford it

So the fixture is made by "custom sea life" no model number. It holds 4 compact fluorescent and is currently loaded with 2 96watt 10,000k dual compacts and 2 96w actinics. The actinics need replacing. It also has a line of LEDs in the center for "moonlight" which is t very bright but I would have to see it over the tank to give an opinion.

Either way I'm not upset I bought it. I could buy replacement bulbs easier than a new fixture even if it adds up to more over a longer time =/ just comes down to how much I'm able to scrounge at one time.

So with the specs what do you think? What are my limits with it as far as corals? Tank is 24 inches deep and 18 inches wide if it matters

The actinics are $30 to replace and the coralife bulbs were $56 at the first place I checked but other bulbs with the same specs were about $30 also

Last edited:

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
It may be possible to pull out the pc stuff, and add t5 retrofit parts. May be slightly more expensive now but the fixture will be good to go for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I don't know much about CF's I've only had MH and T5, but sounds like you can do low light stuff, maybe some medium light if placed on top of the rockwork. Basically mushrooms, certain polyp's and some softies.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
It may be possible to pull out the pc stuff, and add t5 retrofit parts. May be slightly more expensive now but the fixture will be good to go for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Now this is an interesting concept. Squid or greech (can't remember which) suggested some DIY retrofitting but I don't know anything about it.

Any of you guys willing to tell me how I would go about it with this fixture for when I want to upgrade? Getting parts for DIY is stuff I can get one piece at a time which would make it possible for me to end up with a really nice fixture here. That would stop me from having to save up which is hard for me

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
It seems like it would be easy to do too. The reflector doesn't seem to be the one that came with it because the screw holes don't line up and it actually isn't even attached. Each side of the reflector catches on the inside of the fixture to hold it in when it is over tank. It isn't pulling on any wires or anything so it didn't really bother me

Sent from my Droid Incredible using the Monster Aquaria Network app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
retrofitting it you would need 2 ballasts for x4 39w bulbs, 16 end caps, some electrical wire, and probably new reflectors with clips to hold the bulbs. Solder, soldering iron, electrical tape.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
retrofitting it you would need 2 ballasts for x4 39w bulbs, 16 end caps, some electrical wire, and probably new reflectors with clips to hold the bulbs. Solder, soldering iron, electrical tape.
Perfect. And then basically model it to match how it looks now? I've replaced ballasts many times

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
I'm going to suggest, that if you retrofit to T5HO, you go with two 54 watt and two 28 watt lamps. Bulbs are usually easier to get in ~24" and ~48" lengths. A lot of shops don't stock 39 watt T5HO lamps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store