Can your fish tell time?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Mine do.......................

Feeding time is at 7 PM. Around 6:30, the clan starts gathering at the glass and staring at us.

Lights out is at 9 PM. My coris wrasse and dragon wrasse sleep under the sand. They usually dig in around 8:55 PM.

This still amazes me after years of keeping fish. :D

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yep. They are able to get a good idea of when something occurs temporally speaking. A lot better than what they're often given credit for, anyway.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I feel like this could be an old-timey joke:

"How does a fish tell time?"
"Looks at his watch...." :lol:

"How does a fish without a watch tell time?"
"Asks someone..." :rofl:

Seriously, though, that's a neat observation.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
My chromis start hiding in the rocks about an hour before lights off, seems they want to get the best spots.

The time my fish start getting excited is every time I walk into my kitchen - funny - that's where their food is kept.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
My fish know when feeding time is coming.. they start to act a bit different right before.

Also on days when the lights are off all day.. they are still out during the day and sleep at night-- even tho they are in a pitch dark basement with no light.. they still know what time of day it is (not that I dont give them light.. but there has been days that I didnt.. blackouts and such)

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Feeding time is at 7 PM. Around 6:30, the clan starts gathering at the glass and staring at us.
Mine do that to.I don't keep SW,but all my cichlids have always paid close attention around feeding time,but recently I have noticed the others are too.I haven't paid much attention when it is close to lights out.Maybe I'll start.

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
dunno if my betta can tell time,but he knows when it is bedtime because when i turn my brighter light for the tank off he goes and finds his little sleeping area for the night and waits for the dimmer light to be turned off,wont even move when i come up to the tank.my fish may not be able to tell time,but my hermit crabs can! they stay in there little shelter during the day even if i black out the tank,and come out at night even if the light next to thier tank is on.

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
oh yeah so while were talking about the smartness of fish,it has been scientifically proven that mosquito fish can count to four. :)

fitz75

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
CT
My chromis start hiding in the rocks about an hour before lights off, seems they want to get the best spots.

The time my fish start getting excited is every time I walk into my kitchen - funny - that's where their food is kept.
I noticed this with mine too. I feed mine at 7. So amazing they know the time of day. My fish will congregate to the upper corner of the tank. By 10:30 ish they each go into their spots to sleep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store