Canister filter recommendation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Hi All,

I am looking to make the jump to a canister filter today. Could someone recommend a reliable / quiet canister filter for my 20 gallon long (for the short term) and soon for my 40 gallon long?

I see the usual suspects are Eheim, Fluval, and Rena. Are they all similar in terms of quality and ability? Are there other brands I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

owenodin

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If you like quality and the availability of parts being available for a long time, Eheim is the way to go. I suggest a 2217 which is part of the classic series. It's a bit over kill for a 20L, but you will be able to move it to your 40L with no issues.

If money is tight, one of the Chinese knock off canisters, such as Jebo, Jaebo, Sun-sun, or AquaXXXXX can be a real deal. Just be very, very careful with ceramic impeller shafts and the plastic at the sealing clips or sealing points.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I have a Rena for my 30 gallon (the filter is made for a larger volume however) and I love it. It is super quiet and changing the media is easy. The baskets enable you to do whatever media YOU choose so you are not limited.

I do some ceramic media, as well as foam.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Whatever you decide to buy, do some price shopping. Ask anyone here at AC and we highly recommend www.kensfish.com for your aquaria needs. I have a Rena on the 30 gallon, but we have a Fluval FX5 on the 100 gallon, and I can tell you that we got a great deal. He also sells media at a great price.

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
Thanks all. I ended up going with a Fluval 306. I will report back when I have it set up... I hope it proves to be a wise choice.

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
So I got the Fluval up and running last night -- starting it out on my 20 gallon long and hopefully soon transferring it to my 40G long, once I build / purchase the stand and get it set up!

It took me a long time to get it set up -- couldn't figure out some of the instructions (written poorly) but eventually scraped the instructions and put it together using common sense and logic

Once I got it working properly, am very pleased. The water looks very nice and clear, even with the flow turned down a bit, and I'm happy with the build quality. Although, one thing I don't like is how the output tube kind of sways back and forth due to the force it creates while pumping out water. I wish it would stay still. Also, I'd like to be able to tilt it upward more, so it stops moving my sand into a little hill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store