canister filter + surface skimmer = slurping filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rymel

interested in semi-feral tanks
Jan 25, 2012
si, nyc
i just set up a surface skimmer in my little 10g planted tank, and it's not working correctly no matter what i try. it just works for a few seconds before losing suction and sucking in air and doing nothing for a few seconds before repeating the cycle again. i tried adjusting the flow on the skimmer, but it does nothing. the hoses are in the same place as they were before, except now there's the extra tube leading from the hose to the skimmer. has anyone had this problem before?

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Maybe not a strong enough air pump. That's the only thing it sounds like to me. or just a cheapy skimmer. Or a possible puncture in the tubing. Hope this helped

Rymel

Jan 25, 2012
si, nyc
it was a cheapy skimmer, actually. it was just to see how well it would do instead of springing for the eheim one, which i heard doesn't always work correctly. the filter's a marineland c-160 canister if it helps any

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Yeah, I've had a cheapy skimmer before and the cup would fill with water and it just did nothing good for me. But that was in saltwater. I've never tried a skimmer in a planted :O

Rymel

Jan 25, 2012
si, nyc
i had a thick biofilm on the top of my tank that i'd rather never see again, so i thought i'd try it out. i've switched it back to the normal intake for now as i no longer care for the night haha. i'll fool around with it tomorrow...after i exchange this fluval co2 kit that was missing a few important parts :silly:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It sounds like the canister can pump out water faster than the overflow can supply it. Is the overflow rated at a specific gph?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sounds like your water level is too low. Try adding some more water to your tank.

Hello Tabi: Your skimmer is a protein skimmer, very different then this. :)

TabisFish

AC Members
Jan 21, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
Real Name
Tabi Underwood
Sounds like your water level is too low. Try adding some more water to your tank.

Hello Tabi: Your skimmer is a protein skimmer, very different then this. :)
lol ok good! thought i was missing something :)

Rymel

Jan 25, 2012
si, nyc
Any more water an it's coming out of the tank. It's an inch before the plastic

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store