Canister filter trouble

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

setcal

AC Members
Feb 9, 2005
Denver, CO
www.CharmedBySuz.com
Yikes! My 6 black skirt tetras in my 38g were gasping at the surface this morning, and I'm not sure if that's part of cycling my tank or if my 350 Magnum canister filter isn't set up correctly.

This is my first experience with a canister filter. Did I buy a Lamborghini when I only needed a Corolla? I can't tell if it's working properly. There doesn't seem to be much motion at the surface of the tank, but one of my plants sways when the filter is on. I tried to shut it down this morning, but ended up spraying water all over in the process of trying to turn the shut down valves (which don't turn like the instructions say).

Has anyone heard of a LFS taking a filter back? I think I just need the hang-on-the-back kind. When my LFS opens in an hour, I'm going to call and see if I can pay someone to make a house call to show me the ins and outs of my filter.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

maverick2402

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Deptford,NJ
It sounds like you have low oxygen levels.Are you still cycling your tank?You need to change half the water realy quick.

Last edited:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
sounds like ammonia, nitrite issues resulting from the fact that the filter is cycling.

setcal

AC Members
Feb 9, 2005
Denver, CO
www.CharmedBySuz.com
So I'll boost the oxygen levels with a water change.

But as far as the canister filter, should I switch to the kind that hangs on the back of the tank for simplicity? These canisters seem tricky to me. Does anyone else think so? Not to mention is took me like 2 hours to set it up (don't laugh).

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
setcal said:
So I'll boost the oxygen levels with a water change.

But as far as the canister filter, should I switch to the kind that hangs on the back of the tank for simplicity? These canisters seem tricky to me. Does anyone else think so? Not to mention is took me like 2 hours to set it up (don't laugh).
Initial setup is a pain in the butt, but cannisters are a breeze after they are installed.

Add an air pump/bubbler to aerate your water. Cannisters do not oxygenate the water at all.... as witnessed by the surface being calm and undisturbed. The denitrifying bacteria is aerobic, so needs all the oxygen you can give it.....especially in the cycling stage.

Keep your eye on ammonia and nitrite....buy liquid test kits if you don't already have. ...and be sure to dechlorinate the water before adding it to the tank.

fyi, a Magnum 350 should be fine for a 38g.

maverick2402

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Deptford,NJ
Its an ok filter once you get the hang of it.Plus you already have it running .I would just stick with it and things will be ok.Alot of us use canister filters on small tanks.I use a Fluval canister on a 20 gal.Does it have the bio wheel hooked up to it because I know you can get them for you filter and that helps with the biological balance of the tank.Problem is some time down the road if you were to switch to a hang over filter you 'll wish you had the canister,then you'd have to go buy it all over again.

Pretender

AC Members
Sep 20, 2005
Space Coast of Florida
If you're not running your Magnum with the Biowheel, I believe you can adjust your filter output to agitate the surface of the water. This is where the gas exchange takes place. But I suspect the problem is more of a problem of ammonia and/or nitrite levels than dissolved oxygen.

setcal

AC Members
Feb 9, 2005
Denver, CO
www.CharmedBySuz.com
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not running it with a biowheel. I called my LFS too and they're going to test my water for me and said it's probably the anmonia due to cycling. He assured me the filter is working and told me to "stop messing with it" after I told him that water sprayed all over this morning. I'm going to pick his brain tomorrow when I go in about the shut off valves and maintenence. I might get an airstone too.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
all my Eheim cannisters are set up with a spray bar which is under the water surface by about an inch. with the holes for the exhaust at about 45° toward the surface, significant agitation results and it's also 'quiet'.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store