carbon filters in a planted tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glassfish

AC Members
Apr 10, 2004
www.fireflylamps.com
I just read the June 2004 issue of FAMA (Freshwater & Marine Aquarium magazine) in the Freshwater Forum column that it isn't good to use carbon filters in planted tanks because they can reduce the amount of nutrients in the water. Has anyone heard of this?

I just read an article on the Drs Foster & Smith site that says to use carbon filters for planted tanks :confused:

10 algae busting tips

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I don't see a lot of point in using carbon filtration -or any other adsorbtive/absorbtive filtration technique - in tanks chronically unless it is there for specific reason. If something is coloring the water, certainly carbon is great for removing that. Some meds can be specificaly removed by carbon as well. Ditto some organics, but generally water changes are cheaper and broader spectrum.

Carbon will adsorb some amount of the nutrients added for planted tanks, especially the chelated metals such as iron, but the quantity which can be removed by carbon is fairly small per unit volume of carbon. If you need to use carbon for whatever reason, you can just add a bit more of the chealted items.

glassfish

AC Members
Apr 10, 2004
www.fireflylamps.com
Thanks for your reply, RTR.

I just began using carbon because the Emp 400 came with carbon filter packs and I thought it was 'the way to do it'. So... I am still trying to figure out what is best for my tanks. I get new ideas/insight every day with the more research I do! Sometimes adds to my confusion. :p

I have checked my supplier catalog, and carbon filters seem to be the only 'standard' thing for the Emperor filters. I have been considering replacing that with foam...

edit: typo

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I have checked my supplier catalog, and carbon filters seem to be the only 'standard' thing for the Emperor filters. I have been considering replacing that with foam...
Just an FYI, I am a fan of Emp's but don't think much of the media options, I usually cut the original filter pad off of my used cartridge, dump the carbon and staple new bonded filter pad to the plastic frame. Foam also works quite nicelt, and I have been known to stuff filter floss in between the two media holders as well.

glassfish

AC Members
Apr 10, 2004
www.fireflylamps.com
I didn't think much of the standard filters, either. That blue scrubby stuff is just too coarse - doesn't seem to filter much of anything. I picked up some floss tonight at loaded that in the two spare cartridges. Thanks for the tip.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
No need for any carbon in your filter except to remove meds. when you're finished with them and as described by RTR above.
The usable life of a carbon cartridge is, at best, only 4 - 6 weeks anyway.
Add an extra filter pad or floss, or if possible ceramic rings/stars etc.

Len

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
I got tired of supporting BigAls for filter cartridges for my penguins too so I cut off the old media and rubber band nonallergenic quilt batting to the frame with the aid of two notches cut on each side of the frame.

aquabillpers

AC Members
Jan 21, 2004
SE PA, USA
Visit site
Just to add to the consensus, the use of carbon in a filter used to be one of those things that "everybody" did. Now just about "nobody" does, except for the special situations that have been cited

I use only floss in my filters, when I run them. It is very good at removing particulates and provides some biological filtration. Best of all, it lasts a long time and costs almost nothing when bought in bulk at fabric stores.

Bill

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
just a question about the fultering does using more media ie stars etc are they just kinda dumped in the filter or in a sack?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store