Cardinal Tetra Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
i apologize for the sarcasm.i forget sometimes that we are here to support each other and help with this great hobby/lifestyle.i do believe there is another affliction called false NDS as well.im pretty sure i recall it can affect most of the paracheirodon family.maybe both are exclusive to neons,simulans,and the like.i will most def do my own research and get it straight.good luck.

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Spacefish- Apology accepted and appreciated. I'm thinking this just might be a case of one fish with a problem.*(a still unknown problem) So many of those other diseases (in neons) seem to be a case of one getting it and affecting the others, but my Cardinals are not new to the tank and have been together for a long time. As for the forum community here, I've enjoyed the helpful nature and the positive give/take of the members to the point where checking the forum has become an addiction.

spacefish34

Sep 2, 2009
Bedford,TX
Real Name
Chris
i agree my friend.that is true about NDS,it spreads like wildfire.thanks for the positive feedback.take care...

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I would agree it looks like a genetic defect. At any rate it does not appear to be a disease so I see no need to qt. I once had a cardinal with a much more pronounced bend in the spine. He never grew past 5/8 inch but he lived a couple of years.

onebyone

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
I purchased cardinals from one of my LFS and they had the same concave shape belly. They were horribly thin, and I was really worried about them. I lost the two smallest ones, but the larger ones have pulled through and are doing awesomely. They have round bellies now and are the most active at feeding time. It's been a month and they really seem to be thriving now!

XMAN

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
RI
Here are a couple of sources:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled—with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and "pop-eye."
A: This disease is highly infectious and deleterious. Bacteria can remain living in the gravel to infect other fish when they are weakened. Some success has been achieved by treating infected fish with antibiotics (Oxytetracycline and Kanamycin), although often it is best to kill the fish and put it out of its misery. When removing piscine tuberculosis victims, do so with care, as this disease can be transmitted to humans.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
http://fish.mongabay.com/diseases.htm

Question
Hello

I just want to know for future reference. One of my fish had a very bent spine. He was completely bent over like someone just cracked him in half. None of the other fish was like him. Everything in the tank is just fine, water chemistry, filtration everything. i treated with aquarium salt and STRESSCOAT. There really is no medication that will cure this. Is it just a muscle spasm? In all my years of aquarium keeping I have never had a problem like this. Do you have any idea what it is? Thanks for any help.
Jack

Answer
Hi Jack,
It is possible for other fish to have a disease called Neon Tetra Disease. In advanced stages it can cause a curved spine. Early symptoms of this disease is loss of colour and erratic swimming behaviour. This disease is incurable and the fish usually dies a slow painful death.

The other problem could have been a deformity of the spine. In this case, the parents could have passed it onto their young whilst having this deformity.

Regards,
Chloe.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Freshwater-Aquarium-3216/bent-fish-disease.htm

How do you mean "bent"? Was the fish's spine bent as you look at the fish from the side, or from the top? If it was bent as you look at it from the side and didn't look this way before, it could be fish tuberculosis, which unfortunately is a terrible disease that is untreatable and will likely infect your other fish.

Other causes for bent spines are neon tetra disease (but, the fish wasn't a neon, so that can be ruled out) as well as growth problems or deformities.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/fish-bent-like-swimming-circles-18614/

And finally check out the cardinal tetra on this page. Looks like what your's has.
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/fish_palace/tropicalfish_disease_identification.html#TB

JAY973

AC Members
Dec 24, 2005
NJ
I would try stimulating it's appetite with live food if possible. (good luck)

This will be of now help at all:
If you haven't introduced anything new to the tank plants or other fish in the last few months you may be ok there. I've heard of people having out breaks due to public water companies having spikes of something only to recieve a notice in the mail months later. (I got one recently about possible lead being above normal but still within gov. regulation.) Typically the changes aren't dangerous for human consumption but can be for fish and water changes, also not likely since it is only affecting 1 fish.

jrow8162

AC Members
Apr 6, 2009
Richmond, VA
Is the fish still alive? It could also be a parasite. I've seen fish with parasites look like that. Their stomachs will sink in just like that. I've seen it a lot in African Cichlids... Just a thought..

andyjh

AC Members
Feb 18, 2009
Massachusetts
Yes. fish is still alive. Last night at feeding time I fed the usual tetramin flakes and noticed this fish wouldn't touch it. Tonight, I decided to try some frozen mosquito larvae that I feed as an occasional treat. I watched this fish carelfully and saw him eat at least 3 or 4 pieces, which of course makes me wonder if it could possibly have been rejecting the regular offerings. I never thought this was possible with fish. I'm going to try the mosquito larvae on a more regular basis and see if I notice any improvement on the caved stomach. Would there be any harm in feeding this 3 or 4 times weekly? (in addition to regular flakes).

FasterShrimpo

AC Members
Jul 13, 2009
Yes. fish is still alive. Last night at feeding time I fed the usual tetramin flakes and noticed this fish wouldn't touch it. Tonight, I decided to try some frozen mosquito larvae that I feed as an occasional treat. I watched this fish carelfully and saw him eat at least 3 or 4 pieces, which of course makes me wonder if it could possibly have been rejecting the regular offerings. I never thought this was possible with fish. I'm going to try the mosquito larvae on a more regular basis and see if I notice any improvement on the caved stomach. Would there be any harm in feeding this 3 or 4 times weekly? (in addition to regular flakes).
Could get fat or some get jiggy with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store