Cardisoma guanhum (Barbados Giant Land Crab) Build Thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thesixis

AC Members
Feb 3, 2009
New Jersey
Hey D7
How much were they? How long do they live? Do they reproduce in captivity?

DeeSeven

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
CT
they cost me 10 dollars but I also get wholesale prices
they live for about 6-10 years
to my knowledge they don't reproduce in captivity then again theres 0 info on them

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
That is AWESOME! Those guys are ginormous! Hopefully they'll get less skittish once they realize you aren't going to eat them. Can't wait to see the cage get all set up. Keep trying more foods, a varied diet is best. You can even offer them crab!

Cuvier

AC Members
Feb 26, 2006
Nice land crabs. I've seen these at various stages of life in Puerto Rico. They frequently occupy burrows at the edge of rivers and ponds -- and occasionally follow streams surprisingly far inland -- so it may be worthwhile to allow them access to freshwater and a tub of moist sand.

Here's one I encountered a few years back in Rio Grande:

to my knowledge they don't reproduce in captivity then again theres 0 info on them
If you have females, they may well become gravid, but the larvae require saltwater to develop. In other words, these present a challenge similar to that posed to freshwater aquarists by Amano or bamboo shrimp (not so much insurmountable as judged to be too much trouble and left unattempted). There's at least one scientific paper on the larval development of Cardisoma guanhumi, and several hobbyists have successly bred red-claw crabs in captivity, so the possibility deserves to be kept in mind.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Cuvier, that picture of the crab with the stick is priceless. I just have an image of this crab saying "Give me the fruit from your pina colada or your ankles get it!"

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
WOW those guys are really cool. I have been searching for a place that carries larger crabs but cant find anywhere that does. LFS doesnt seem to carry anything except maybe chili crabs. Do they go in the water at all?

DeeSeven

AC Members
Feb 4, 2007
CT
yes cam thats them they're actually considered pests in fla....the tank is almost done promise I got sidetracked by the universe and will have a full step by step for you guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store