care for java moss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I have a 20 gal tank that I have just removed the fish from, I removed most of the plants. I'm left with 2 crypts and java moss on the side panel and across the back panel of the tank. I'm not sure when I am going to put fish back in. I am moving this weekend and will refill with water and leave the filters running. what if any nutrients will I need to supply the moss and how often? thanks -linda

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
You shouldn't have to supply anything. I've been keeping java moss and crypts alive in a tank that hasn't had any other living thing for about 4 months. I have a filter but I rarely do water changes and its been fine. The moss (and the crypts) should be fine for the time being until you can get fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
water and some light is about all java moss needs in my experience. I had some sitting in a 5g with no filter/circulation and just a couple hours of indirect sunlight for over a month and it was growing.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
thanks, having a moss wall is good and I just didn't want it to die off. I appreciate the input. - linda

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store