Carib Sea African Cichlid Mix (Sahara Sand)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hysteria

AC Members
Apr 9, 2004
Bennington, NE
Visit site
I have the Carib Sea African Cichlid Mix (Ivory Coast Sand) in my 55gal mbuna tank for almost 3 years now. It is not cheap, but it's a great substrate to buffer the high pH and hardness needed by these fishes. Yeah, there are other cheaper ways to provide these conditions, but I love that sand texture and color.
I could not agree more. The color and size of the Ivory Coast Sand is PERFECT. We just set up a 45 gallon cube with it, containing Paracyprichromis nigripinnis and various plecos. We'll also be using it in our 300 gallon Deep Dimension tank soon.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
People obsess over ph too much. Are your fish and plants alive? If so ph is probably ok, it's mostly a yes or no question. Some areas have water or dirt with very low or very high and some species require very low or very high but you'll know if that's the case. For substrate in african cichlid tank shells are the best by far. If you're still worried about ph they are virtually pure calcium carbonate, crush a couple and that's as hard as it gets. Aside from that they leave lots of space for the inevitable fry to hide in and are easy to clean. Also lightweight and cheap (or free) to aquire.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool deal looks like you are on your way to an awesome tank, i use the PFS as well just give a week and all should be good..

Mr.55

AC Members
Apr 15, 2010
Louisiana
I have added my fish back and all should be good right......I used 30 gallons of the water that I had when the tank was set up before to try to keep the bacteria and all the filter media in my Fluval 305 should have tons of bacteria right. I did let it cycle for about 3-4 days though before I added my fish.

Mr.55

AC Members
Apr 15, 2010
Louisiana
DSCN0228.JPG
A shot of some of my fish.
DSCN0232.JPG
This is how it looks now.
DSCN0233.JPG
Another one.
I have an ob zebra also but she is not in here. She's in a thirty gallon and she's holding.

DSCN0233.JPG DSCN0232.JPG DSCN0228.JPG

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Everything is going great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store