Catfish ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Originally, I was out crayfishing but I saw some interesting fish swimming in the vegetation. I managed to catch two, I believe they are catfish but they don't look like juveniles of anything that's native here (NJ) and they're too small to be adults of anything. Any idea what I found?

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
those are cool..go catch some more and send me a couple:grinyes:
I intend to catch more, hopefully. **** things were harder to catch than my bullheads lol

black_sun

Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
spotted bullhead?
I don't know, maybe? The head doesn't look like my other bullheads though, but then again they aren't spotted. Additionally, doesn't the spotted bullhead have a different patterning to it? *shrugs* It'd be sweet if they were though!

blissskr

"Who's Barry Badrinath"
Jun 22, 2008
New Hampshire
Definetly a madtom, perhaps a brindled would be my guess.

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Those are not ictalurids, and therefore not North American in origin; the shape of the head and unpaired fins is enough to convince me of that. Please report this occurrence to your state fish and game agency. Probably these are just some tank releases who will die before too long, but there is some potential that they could become yet another aquatic nuisance species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store