Cats Fighting...Any Suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishyaddict

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
Auburn, NY
Thought you guys are always so good with fish that maybe you could help with this problem. :) My girlfriend and I moved in together in the house i own about 4 months ago. My sister had lived there before she moved out of state and left us three cats. My girlfriend brought her cat as well. Two of the males just refuse to get along. They're both 3-4 years old, neutered, and constantly at each others throats, well not literally but it usually resolves to growl of matches in our hallways. At first we thought time would take care of it, but at 4 months that hope is beginning to fade. I've even heard from someone i work with that i should l should lock them together and let them fight it out. Unintentionally they were both locked together in our attic, i would of thought it they were going to fight it out and be done with it it would of happened then...but still they go at it. I actually just split them up a couple of minutes ago which is what prompted me to make this post.... any suggestions?

patoloco

De seguro no sabes lo que dice aqu
Oct 20, 2005
Costa Rica
wetpatoloco.tripod.com
Old cats (and dogs) become territorial and posessive with their owners. That's why they can't accept another animal of the same sex and similar age. Neutering always messes with their biological cycle, so you might think of them behaving as "cranky old cats".

The fighting bahavious won't stop until one of them decides to become submissive to thwe other, which likely not happen in a long time.

My advice: let them be and fight for pride, or find one of the cats a new home.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I agree with Pat completely. They will continue to fight until one takes the "backseat". They may eventually settle down but it could take years. Let them fight it out if they aren't really hurting each other. I would watch to see that one or the other doesn't become overly stressed by the situation and if that happens consider rehoming. The constant stress on the loser may eventually lead to health concerns.

hurricanejedi

AC Members
Apr 4, 2005
Raleigh, NC
www.flowerspride.com
How long did you wait before introducing them? The best way to introduce cats is to keep the newcomer(s) in a seperate room and allow the resident cats to get used to the smell without physical confrontation. This process should take about 2 weeks (hehe kind of like cycling your cats). If you didn't do this then you might consider doing a "reintroduction." You can often rub the cat with a towel and put the towel on the outside of the door (full of new cats scent) for the other cat to check out.

Then get some Feliway diffusers. Many people sware by them. You can put feliway spray around the door or get a diffuser for the main area your cats reside (or during the introduction in the bedroom of new cat).

Encourage the cats to play footsies under the door. You can do this by using toys. Or if they are not toy motivated then use treats when they are near each other.

Once you are ready to introduce them (in your case waiting a month might be more appropriate) then associate positive things with the introduction. Put out their favorite food. Give them lots of attention and play with them together. You can even do "play sessions" everyday, only let them be together during play or feeding. Again positive reinforcement. Presence of offending cat will eventually be a good thing.

Right now you are seeing the territorial fighting most likely because top cats territory was suddently invaded like others have said. New cat is scared and acting defensive, spurring them into a cycle that probably won't end without help. They really need a warm-up period.

They might never be grooming buddies but they certainly should learn to tolerate each other.

We have 3 females (usually a harder combo than males) and our oldest cat (2) still is not fond of our kittens. However, she is tolerant she will just give them a swat or hiss if they get to close for to long. This sort of thing is just reinforcing to the kittens that she is still top cat and nothing to worry about. So if you get to that point then that might be the best you are going to get.

If a real cat fight breaks out throwing something over the cats will usually stop it. Or it will stop it enough for you to pick up offending cat inside of coat/towel/etc. When a cat is blinded they usually will submit to you and makes seperation pretty easy.

I know a lot more about cats than fish as they are my #1 hobby.

Here's a link to feliway. You can get it at Petsmart/Petco but it is pricey. It usually cheaper at Dr. Foster & Smith or online stores.
Feliway Spray
Feliway Diffuser

Last edited:

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I think hurricanejedi probably has the right idea. All the cats I "own" live outside. And they are all strays that wandered into the yard. In the beginning they fought all the time. Some were even hurt badly enough to where I had to put them down. Eventually, one cat (usually a female) became top kitty and the rest just squabble every now and then between themselves. My dog either gets sick from hearing them or overexcited and usually jumps into the middle of the fight. Seeing that she is about 20 times bigger than the cats, the cats tend to go their separate ways.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Lol...I think DeVita is on to something....

Slappy !! What IS that on your avatar ??? !!!! LOL !!!

It looks like the hairy peach guy come to life...on one of the Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber videos ...in the "WHere's My Hairbrush" tune.....LOL !

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
My older cat, sunny (fixed female orange rescue) is about 4 now. She became kind of spoiled to having me all to herslef. About a 2 years ago, I introduced Sassy (fixed female calico psycho cat given to me by a friend-"saved the best one for you" oh "thank you for this little monster") when she was a kitten. Sassy ended up being a VERY appropriate name for her. She's crazy, but thats a whole new post- won't go into that. I love her anyway.

Anyway, Sassy decided that she should attack Sunny... about 3 times her size and age. Sunny was very patient with her. Finally, I ended up putting Sassy in a kennel crate designed for a pretty big dog out in the floor so that Sunny and Sassy could see/smell each other without any major issues. Let this go on for a while. It helped!

Told my friend about it. She said, "yeah, she thinks she's a big cat" No kidding!

Now, they just "tolerate" each other. I would try the playing together thing like hurricanejedi described.

Sunny will get mad if I pet Sassy at the same time and Sassy gets mad if I pet her at all. Sunny is quite the little attention magnet.

Sassy will play or be petted for a short time (like 30 seconds, if that), and then get bored and bite/claw me. (I think this is a Sassy problem)

Sorry, posted before I was done!

Anyway, try to socialize them like hurricanejedi suggested or if you have or can borrow a large dog crate, try that.

The crate thing is kind of nice because they can both be in the same room with you and everyone can see each other. But, try the other methods if this is not possible.

Be persistant. (hopefully you don't have a wacko cat like mine!"

Good Luck and have fun with the new cats! :clap:

Last edited:

fishyaddict

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
Auburn, NY
Thanks for all the tips. I had thought about doing something like that when we moved the new cat in, but we were so busy and not thinking we just let him go. He's been a fighter before, so even though most of the time he's just defending himself he can get a little crazy. They are both sweet cats, except the new cat has a tendency to turn on you if you pet his back or pet him when his eyes are big and tail is whipping. I raised him as an abandoned 4wk old kitten (bottle fed), and he's always had that little attitude.
The original male has never really been a fighter, but now he's ready to kick butt, starting a lot of the fights. He even inflicted some wounds on the new cat, but hasnt in a while, so i think those fights are through at least.
Well, Im gonna have to figure out one of the ways to reintroduce them, hopefully that will help.
thanks again,
Dave & Tricia

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store